Return to www.chicagosky.net.

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chicago Sky 2012 (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Chicago Sky TalkSky Team TalkChicago Sky 2012
Message Icon Topic: We need a Grunt... Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 3 Next >>
Swish

Online Status: Offline
Quote Swish Replybullet Topic: We need a Grunt...
    Posted: 25Jun2012 at 10:57am
The Sky need a power forward that can defend the basket and get rebounds. She does not have to be a great offensive threat. All she needs to do is be a grunt and get rebounds. My favorite line in the movie "The Avengers" is when Captain America tells the Hulk to go smash. The Hulk obeys the command and destroys every space alien in sight! Pokey needs to have a player besides Fowles that she can look her in the eye and tell to get rebounds. We need a GRUNT.

IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 25Jun2012 at 11:15am
Yep...that's the need. That's why I'm done with Willingham. I basically cringe when she comes into the game. I will confess she played better against The Lynx.

Frankly at this point I think Pokey really needs to try the Fowles/Swords tandem when she subs Riley out...and move Syl to PF putting Swords in the middle. On defense with Syl and Swords in you go to a 2-3 zone defense where Swords would have the responsibility to defend inside.

Simple as that! I think it's worth a try given what The Sky is getting with Wilingham coming in for Riley.
The "BIG 5" Sloot, Quigley, DeShields, Parker, and Dolson
IP IP Logged
Jimmmy2

Quote Jimmmy2 Replybullet Posted: 25Jun2012 at 12:55pm
   In the beginning of the Min game Swords was in and their offense slowed and down low passes to Swords worked. Cold offense by our team ruined it after that.   In games we have won I remember Swords and Riley shutting down shorter teams as a tandem.   Pokey against Min might of worried about defensive speed going tall. But against most teams this is our best bet.

Edited by Jimmmy2 - 25Jun2012 at 12:56pm
In the long run.It's better to have a bad outcome doing things right.Than a good one doing things wrong.
IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 25Jun2012 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Jimmmy2

In the beginning of the Min game Swords was in and their offense slowed and down low passes to Swords worked. Cold offense by our team ruined it after that.   In games we have won I remember Swords and Riley shutting down shorter teams as a tandem.   Pokey against Min might of worried about defensive speed going tall. But against most teams this is our best bet.

It would be true that The Sky would run a slower half court offense with Swords in...but it would be an offense where the rebounding would be in favor of The Sky.

The Syl/Swords combination is AN offensive answer in certain situations. By no means am I saying it's the answer. It just an offensive answer that should be considered.

Some think I'm saying simply go to that offense but that's not what I'm saying. I'm simply saying use it. Right now it hasn't been used.
IP IP Logged
brit479

Quote brit479 Replybullet Posted: 25Jun2012 at 4:34pm
Devereaux Peters would've been great. She's doing pretty good with Minnesota. Too bad we traded our pick for Swin. Pokey is just going to have to really lock in this off season and get a strong PF that can bang down low and compliment Syl. Because getting these has been centers like Snow and Riley ain't cutting it.

Edited by brit479 - 25Jun2012 at 4:50pm
*Sloot*Piph*Cash*EDD*Syl*

*Stay healthy and make some noise. GO SKY!!

IP IP Logged
Tonette10

Quote Tonette10 Replybullet Posted: 25Jun2012 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by brit479

Devereaux Peters would've been great. She's doing pretty good with Minnesota. Too bad we traded our pick for Swin. Pokey is just going to have to really lock in this off season and get a strong PF that can bang down low and compliment Syl. Because getting these has been centers like Snow and Riley ain't cutting it.

This made me giggle.
JUST WIN THAT IS ALL
IP IP Logged
lilsmoothfan

Quote lilsmoothfan Replybullet Posted: 25Jun2012 at 11:12pm
Tonette I'M the "grunt". See you Wednesday.
The Unsung Hero: From A Dream to the Sky
IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 25Jun2012 at 11:13pm
Are we starting to bail on players??? Confused

I like Riley...she's a very smart player...but there are some things you can't ask her to do and that's guard smaller players. In the Lynx game I would've brought Riley of the bench and started Petro.The Sky would have started with a quicker team.

Anyhow...the season is still young. Our ladies have passed some test and others the failed with gallant effort. Let's remember that they're still learning together while you have the top tier teams ln the East (Lynx & Fever), whose core players have been together much longer.

It's coming folks...have some patience. Thumbs%20Up

Edited by T_Woodie - 25Jun2012 at 11:14pm
IP IP Logged
Sec113Maven

Quote Sec113Maven Replybullet Posted: 26Jun2012 at 8:28am
I expected Swin Cash to be more of a force than she has been. I am wondering if she is starting on the downside of her career. Riley has done better than I thought she would, I underestimated her in the past.

I do not see Syl playing PF. She will always be the Center. I am taking half a vacation day tomorrow to go to the Indiana game. We HAVE to beat Indiana. If we can't find a way to beat them there is no use going to the playoffs. Cash and Young need to step up and Petrovic needs more minutes on the floor - she is good.
Sec113Maven
IP IP Logged
Swish

Quote Swish Replybullet Posted: 26Jun2012 at 9:07am
The current WNBA is structured now with highly skilled and highly developed athletes. In order to compete at this level players MUST be strong physically and mentally. Players must also be aggressive on offense and defense. The word SOFT should not describe any player on a great team. Players on other teams are like predators. They will attack the old and the weak of their opponents. Any team that strives to be great cannot afford to have players that are soft or timid.

IP IP Logged
Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version