Return to www.chicagosky.net.

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chicago Sky 2012 (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Chicago Sky TalkSky Team TalkChicago Sky 2012
Message Icon Topic: The Offense Problem: Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 3 Next >>
T_Woodie

Online Status: Offline
Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Topic: The Offense Problem:
    Posted: 12Jul2012 at 6:30pm
Everyone see the problem on offense from what I've read...and it's correct "aggressiveness".

We see it all the time:

The ball comes up the court on offense...and for some reason the movement stops. The Sky offense lack continuous movement.

*Players make their initial moves within the offense but for some reason after that they seem to get stagnant.

*There's no "if this isn't there then do this" after the initial move.

The offense needs continual motion and a little more physicality to it. Players need to get hard nosed and battle for position within the offense.

Our players get pushed around a lot during the game. Syl, Swin, Young, Shay, Willingham, and Swords are the most physical we have playing now with EP out.

The rest need to come on board!!!

The "BIG 5" Sloot, Quigley, DeShields, Parker, and Dolson
IP IP Logged
brit479

Quote brit479 Replybullet Posted: 13Jul2012 at 1:55am
The Sky doesn't have a system offense I believe. It seems like street ball...everyone for themselves. Then when she do draw up something it becomes a turnover or a bad pass. The force it in to Syl with 2-3 players on her stopped working this year. Pokey offensive ideas goes flat after Syl and Piph.

Edited by brit479 - 13Jul2012 at 1:57am
*Sloot*Piph*Cash*EDD*Syl*

*Stay healthy and make some noise. GO SKY!!

IP IP Logged
fanbetty

Quote fanbetty Replybullet Posted: 13Jul2012 at 11:20am

The final play of the home win vs Washington where Syl was isolated 1 on 1 with Langhorne and easily scored to win the game was one of the best designed offensive plays I have seen.  I have a tough time believing that was a fluke (of course it didn't hurt that Washington has a less competent coach and GM than we do).  I'm sure there was thought and planning that went into that play and it seems that someone should have enough knowledge to draw up the rest of the offense with similar concepts that will allow Syl to get some 1 on 1 looks and not have to fight to get the ball in the post.  Even with Prince playing and shooting lights out, Syl was double teammed in the post even without the ball and a 3rd player was brought in to disrupt her when she actually got the ball.  There are ways to space the floor to avoid this and plays that feature penetration and kick or pick and pop would certainly open things up.  Of course, we need someone who can penetrate (no speed) and a big who can step back and hit an 18 footer (not sure that person is on the roster).  I think Shay or Petro are good options to sit on the perimeter and hit open 3's from either of these offenses.

As I said before, I think a lot of the issues involve Pokey having lost the team.  They do not seem to respond to her ranting and certainly put out little effort on the floor. 

IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 13Jul2012 at 4:15pm
The Sky offense is like many other teams. It's based on the screens/roll concept.

The problems we see are:

1. Poor passing

2. Poor execution

3. Poor persistence (meaning we have some players without GUTS)

When EP went down The Sky took a heavy blow. The players that I think have truly stepped up are these two:

Tamera Young
Shay Murphy

Petro is having to learn the physicality of this league...she needs tougher skin. If Petro can step up...and with EP returning to form this team can get back to form.

I thought Sloot was ready to step up...but so far I'm wrong on that.Unhappy

I haven't given up on Sloot yet though. I hope she steps up against The Sun!!!

IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 07Aug2012 at 10:50am
No news is good news where EP is concerned...that means she's coming along fine!! Thumbs%20Up
IP IP Logged
wnbarocks

Quote wnbarocks Replybullet Posted: 07Aug2012 at 5:46pm
Piph is coming along very well. She is practicing and is very positive re: her progress.
IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 07Aug2012 at 11:35pm
Great! Thanks wnbarocks.
IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 09Aug2012 at 11:46am
The Sky has a nice group of guards in Sloot, EP, Shay, and a veteran in Ticha.

Then there's TYoung, Petro and Swin who can also play guard if necessary.

Sloot had a breakout game before the break...her best game ever. If she can continue that with EP returning it will be great for The Sky.

I hope Pokey has been tweaking the offense too.

As the Olympics end we know players that were out due to playing for their countries will be returning. Players of note are:

Seattle - Lauren Jackson

Atlanta - Erica de Souza

Tulsa - Liz Cambage

Those teams will get a good boost!
IP IP Logged
brit479

Quote brit479 Replybullet Posted: 09Aug2012 at 4:38pm
Well with ever body healthy were definitely deep at the guard and small forward spots. The front court worries me though, it's still just Syl and whoever else that might step up. Riley, Lecoe, and Swords are going to have to bring it. I just want the Sky to have a smoother offense the 2nd half. With Piph back it will open up things.
*Sloot*Piph*Cash*EDD*Syl*

*Stay healthy and make some noise. GO SKY!!

IP IP Logged
Jimmmy2

Quote Jimmmy2 Replybullet Posted: 12Aug2012 at 6:44pm
      In the Olympic final Bird was better than Whalen. I think it's a testimony to under use atrophy. Swords would be equal(please type a dissenting point instead of making me spell equalt) to Syl if she had game time. Then our offense would be in business.

Edited by Jimmmy2 - 14Aug2012 at 12:05am
In the long run.It's better to have a bad outcome doing things right.Than a good one doing things wrong.
IP IP Logged
Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version