Return to www.chicagosky.net.

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chicago Sky 2012 (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Chicago Sky TalkSky Team TalkChicago Sky 2012
Message Icon Topic: Candace Parker is Class! Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
fanbetty

Online Status: Offline
Quote fanbetty Replybullet Topic: Candace Parker is Class!
    Posted: 04Sep2012 at 11:48am
Don't know if anyone else noticed this, but Candace Parker stood on the court before the game and signed autographs for kids in the crowd for a pretty nice amount of time.  She stayed until everyone that was down there in line was taken care of.  Nice touch and a lot of excited kids.

Why don't our players do something like that?  Yes, I know there is a signing period after the game, but why not wander over to the stands and sign for 15 minutes or so.  It's not like there are thousands of kids there to overwhelm them.  We need to be more fan friendly.

Anyone ever go to a Chicago Rush game?  ALL the players and ALL the cheerleaders stay on the field after the game and sign autographs for 30 minutes or so.  They draw 8,000 per game and used to draw over 14,000 per game back when the league had far more talent.  I'll bet the fan experience is part of the reason for this!
IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 04Sep2012 at 12:50pm
Big difference is Parker ...being an Illinois native and a superstar, only comes to town once a year. So it's great of her to do that.

Sky players are available more often so there's more time...and they sign aplenty in all the community/publicity events they do.
The "BIG 5" Sloot, Quigley, DeShields, Parker, and Dolson
IP IP Logged
Tonette10

Quote Tonette10 Replybullet Posted: 04Sep2012 at 5:26pm
If it ain't one thing it is another Fanbetty. I usually don't say anything but this post right here was begging for me to address it.

I agree ith Twoodie about Parker only being here 1 time per season so her doing that is great and she should do that.

Regarding our players they are available every home game, sure it may not be until after the game (i have seen some do things before the game starts) but the point remains. They are more than accessible.

Prime example how fan friendly our team is: After the game on Sunday security was walking every player (both teams) out to the parking lot and these little kids were told by that "communication lady named Michele" that Piph can't sign anything right now because she had to leave. As the kids started to walk away Piph called them back and signed for them despite what a "sky person said" and truth be told I have witnessed this on multiple occasions.

Another example is that besides the 2 players who sign things after the game I have seen all our players leave the locker room and there are fans there wanting pictures and autographs and EACH AND EVERYONE OF THEM STOP AND SIGN AND TAKE PICTURES.

So I guess my point is Fanbetty, you are wrong and our players are accessible. Find a new tactic to attack our players because that one didn't work.

NEXT
JUST WIN THAT IS ALL
IP IP Logged
wnbarocks

Quote wnbarocks Replybullet Posted: 04Sep2012 at 6:41pm
This is the most fan friendly team and coaches that we have ever had. They meet with groups of fans before games, Pokey does Coaches Corner before every game, they sign all over the community, they meet with season ticket holders at so many events throughout the year, they sign after games at the table (a girl in my row goes up to get in line to meet the players after every game), and they sign and pose for photos on their way out of the stadium. I have never seen a player not sign or pose for anyone who asked. I have, however, seen players from other teams refuse to sign or sneak out other doors to avoid Sky fans.

I think that it would be a mistake to have fans going down to the court before a game asking for autographs. Security wouldn't want to deal with it and I would rather have the players focused on the game and warming up.

I appreciate the ability to meet the players, coaches, and Sky staff. That is one of the great things about the WNBA and the Sky.
IP IP Logged
Jimmmy2

Quote Jimmmy2 Replybullet Posted: 04Sep2012 at 7:29pm
       The Rush play in AllState arena. Must be great for our football junkies.
In the long run.It's better to have a bad outcome doing things right.Than a good one doing things wrong.
IP IP Logged
fanbetty

Quote fanbetty Replybullet Posted: 05Sep2012 at 10:12am
I don't stay for post game and the long line and I certainly don't collect autographs.  However, seeing a player stand and sign and promote the league is a great thing.  Maybe some of you go to these community events and team functions, but I don't and I know that casual fans don't.  You have a limited time to promote yourself.  Pre-game is when your fans (sepecially the young ones) are there and pumped up.  Post game, many leave early (especially the young ones), people are depressed, the line is long....  Anything the league and the players can do to cement relationships should be considered!  It's not like they are turning away people at the door.  Yes, Candace only comes in once a year.  But it's obvious she understands that this league needs special handling to thrive and she, at least for this one game, did her part. 

Call me a jerk all you want, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm wrong.  I criticize because I want better!  Why don't the rest of you want the same?  Are you happy with what we have?  Woohoo...we have won 38% of our games! 
IP IP Logged
skyguy44

Quote skyguy44 Replybullet Posted: 05Sep2012 at 12:09pm
If you don't go to so many things, how do you know so much about what's wrong?

Thank goodness you are here to help things get better.

Keep posting and keep me laughing.
IP IP Logged
hollyhldn

Quote hollyhldn Replybullet Posted: 05Sep2012 at 6:56pm
Sky players are extremely accessible. They will stop and take pictures and sign autographs after the game on the way out to their cars. They are very nice and interact with us. We are very lucky to have first class women on the Sky. I appreciate all that they do for the fans.
IP IP Logged
vickilz

Quote vickilz Replybullet Posted: 05Sep2012 at 7:57pm
Yes Candace is a class act, but so are our Sky players. They are all extremely fan friendly and are always expressing their appreciation of the fans that come out to support the team. 
IP IP Logged
Richard77

Quote Richard77 Replybullet Posted: 05Sep2012 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by fanbetty

I don't stay for post game and the long line and I certainly don't collect autographs.  However, seeing a player stand and sign and promote the league is a great thing.  Maybe some of you go to these community events and team functions, but I don't and I know that casual fans don't.  You have a limited time to promote yourself.  Pre-game is when your fans (sepecially the young ones) are there and pumped up.  Post game, many leave early (especially the young ones), people are depressed, the line is long....  Anything the league and the players can do to cement relationships should be considered!  It's not like they are turning away people at the door.  Yes, Candace only comes in once a year.  But it's obvious she understands that this league needs special handling to thrive and she, at least for this one game, did her part. 

Call me a jerk all you want, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm wrong.  I criticize because I want better!  Why don't the rest of you want the same?  Are you happy with what we have?  Woohoo...we have won 38% of our games! 

If you don't stay after games, then how do you know whether or not Sky players do or don't stick around to sign autographs, just like Parker? I'm not calling you anything, but I do think you contradict yourself in this thread.
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version