Return to www.chicagosky.net.

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chicago Sky 2012 (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Chicago Sky TalkSky Team TalkChicago Sky 2012
Message Icon Topic: Advisors for Sky Ownership? Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 7 Next >>
fanbetty

Online Status: Offline
Quote fanbetty Replybullet Topic: Advisors for Sky Ownership?
    Posted: 12Sep2012 at 10:05am
Why do I feel nervous when I see Michael Alter sitting nearly every game with Doug Bruno?  Last night he added Northwestern Women's coach Joe McKeown.  I know Bruno was the coach of the 1st women's pro team- the Hustle back in the 70's and that McKeown was pursued hard by the Washington Mystics when he was coach at George Washington.  I just hope this is not Alter's advisory board and if he is going to make a change, one of these are not his choice.  While both are great college coaches, we don't need someone else who has to "learn on the job"!
IP IP Logged
mavcarter

Quote mavcarter Replybullet Posted: 12Sep2012 at 11:00am
I doubt Bruno would leave DePaul, and Northwestern hasn't made the tournament since I don't know how long. I believe Alter has learned you can't just bring anybody in.
IP IP Logged
wnbarocks

Quote wnbarocks Replybullet Posted: 12Sep2012 at 12:39pm
As an aside, Doug was trying to get back to the locker rooms after the game and they wouldn't let him because he didn't have a pass!
IP IP Logged
Sec113Maven

Quote Sec113Maven Replybullet Posted: 12Sep2012 at 2:16pm
fanbetty,

Please don't start reading things into situations that are not there. Bruno and Alter have been regularly communicating since the beginning of the Sky. If my memory is correct he is the one that recommended Bo Overton years ago for the Sky and frankly I think Bo Overton was the best coach we had until Pokey.

It made perfect sense to me that Bruno would be watching the game where the most Olympic players he coached were playing. Five Olympic Team members were there last night, although Syl and Augustus were injured. Who knows, maybe he will succeed Auriemma as Olympic coach in Rio.

I would not think his presence has anything to do with Sky management or leadership changes. Maybe he just wanted to see the best team in the WNBA play - I mean Minnesota but hey, watching the Sky play has been fun lately too.

Heart

Edited by Sec113Maven - 12Sep2012 at 2:17pm
Sec113Maven
IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 12Sep2012 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by mavcarter

I doubt Bruno would leave DePaul, and Northwestern hasn't made the tournament since I don't know how long. I believe Alter has learned you can't just bring anybody in.

LOL

Fanbetty feels nervous because she has an agenda. Fanbetty, you have a lot of knowledge, but you're pretty "cut-throat" when it comes to winning.

If the foundation you build on winning is cut-throat you never win!!!

Edited by T_Woodie - 12Sep2012 at 4:14pm
The "BIG 5" Sloot, Quigley, DeShields, Lavender, and Dolson
IP IP Logged
fanbetty

Quote fanbetty Replybullet Posted: 12Sep2012 at 5:10pm
To answer all of you:
1) Bruno's presence has not been a one time thing.  He is there by Michael Alter's side probably 50% of the games.
2) I have no clue about the inside thinking of the Sky- that's why I threw it out.  So many of you seem to know far more about the college world... well, certainly than me.  I have seen Doug Bruno at many games over the years, but usually sitting with his camp kids or one of his assistants, but never with Michael Alter.  That's why I was wondering if something was up.
3) As a Bulls season ticket holder, I suffered thru 6 championships in the 90's with the most cut-throat player in sports history- Michael Jordan and the most cut-throat GM, Jerry Krause and the most cut-throat coach, Phil Jackson.  Seemed to work for them.  The loss of the cut-throat attitude resulted in years of losing.  GIVE ME WINS and TITLES!  I don't care what it takes, that's why I'm a fan and go to games.  Even at the high school level, winning is what counts- why is it ok to have a different attitude here?  In the WNBA- it worked for Detroit, it works now for Minnesota.  Yes, cut-throat win at all cost...my new motto!

And Section 113Maven- absolutely agree on Bo.  Just a shame he was such an idiot on other basketball related issues.
IP IP Logged
brit479

Quote brit479 Replybullet Posted: 16Sep2012 at 4:08pm
How about Marynell Meadors coming in being GM next year? a lot of people praise her as a GM. She can help scout players while Pokey's coaching overseas. Wishful thinking.
*Sloot*Piph*Cash*EDD*Syl*

*Stay healthy and make some noise. GO SKY!!

IP IP Logged
vickilz

Quote vickilz Replybullet Posted: 16Sep2012 at 7:19pm
Bruno had also been an advisor for the draft the first few years of the Sky. He may still be in that role.
IP IP Logged
lilsmoothfan

Quote lilsmoothfan Replybullet Posted: 16Sep2012 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by brit479

How about Marynell Meadors coming in being GM next year? a lot of people praise her as a GM. She can help scout players while Pokey's coaching overseas. Wishful thinking.

No mam not !!!
The Unsung Hero: From A Dream to the Sky
IP IP Logged
brit479

Quote brit479 Replybullet Posted: 17Sep2012 at 11:09am
Originally posted by lilsmoothfan

Originally posted by brit479

No mam not !!!

Lol why not?
*Sloot*Piph*Cash*EDD*Syl*

*Stay healthy and make some noise. GO SKY!!

IP IP Logged
Page  of 7 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version