Return to www.chicagosky.net.

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chicago Sky 2012 (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Chicago Sky TalkSky Team TalkChicago Sky 2012
Message Icon Topic: Advisors for Sky Ownership? Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 7 Next >>
Sec113Maven

Online Status: Offline
Quote Sec113Maven Replybullet Posted: 17Sep2012 at 7:07pm
I don't think Meadors would be a good fit here, Pokey is GM. Also, I was under the impression that Pokey is done overseas, that last year was her final year in the Euroleague. I could be wrong. If I am right she will have plenty of time to plan for next year during the off season.

Heart
Sec113Maven
IP IP Logged
wnbarocks

Quote wnbarocks Replybullet Posted: 17Sep2012 at 8:54pm
Oh, I thought that she signed on for next year, but I could be wrong.   Hmmm, better check.
IP IP Logged
brit479

Quote brit479 Replybullet Posted: 18Sep2012 at 2:00am
Originally posted by Sec113Maven

I don't think Meadors would be a good fit here, Pokey is GM. Also, I was under the impression that Pokey is done overseas, that last year was her final year in the Euroleague. I could be wrong. If I am right she will have plenty of time to plan for next year during the off season. Heart

Pokey signed for another year to coach in Russia.

Link:http://www.fibaeurope.com/euroleaguewomen/cid_-tmRPCfrIrYRSO2M5V49E1.teamID_92459.compID_jr6ZiXqeGhMBtfq1yxqV83.season_2012.roundID_8580.coid_krjSTBemJjc,puDP,avzC3.articleMode_on.html

Edited by brit479 - 18Sep2012 at 2:12am
*Sloot*Piph*Cash*EDD*Syl*

*Stay healthy and make some noise. GO SKY!!

IP IP Logged
fanbetty

Quote fanbetty Replybullet Posted: 18Sep2012 at 2:07pm
I may be wrong, but I don't believe there is another coach (assistant or head) who coaches in Europe.  It's one thing to honor a previously signed contract and split your attention.  It's another to intentionally extend your obligation away from the team and split your attention.  To me, this shows the lack of devotion Pokey has to the Sky.
IP IP Logged
Sec113Maven

Quote Sec113Maven Replybullet Posted: 18Sep2012 at 10:21pm
I stand corrected. I did not know that Pokey had signed a contract to coach in Russia. If she is GM for the Sky she should be here giving it her full attention.

Maybe Pokey does not like the WNBA or is hedging her bets in case she is fired. Or maybe she feels she can do both. Or maybe she likes it better in Russia!

Edited by Sec113Maven - 18Sep2012 at 10:28pm
Sec113Maven
IP IP Logged
Sec113Maven

Quote Sec113Maven Replybullet Posted: 18Sep2012 at 10:32pm
I just googled and found an article. I guess she signed back in March...and Christie Sides, her assistant, did too. I don't know who is going to be scouting and taking care of Sky business until next season....

I am disappointed.
Sec113Maven
IP IP Logged
brit479

Quote brit479 Replybullet Posted: 18Sep2012 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by Sec113Maven

I stand corrected. I did not know that Pokey had signed a contract to coach in Russia. If she is GM for the Sky she should be here giving it her full attention.Maybe Pokey does not like the WNBA or is hedging her bets in case she is fired. Or maybe she feels she can do both. Or maybe she likes it better in Russia!

I think you found the answer she's not sure with the WNBA yet so she's making sure she keeps a job.

IP IP Logged
brit479

Quote brit479 Replybullet Posted: 20Sep2012 at 9:23pm
I'm all for us getting a new GM with experience in the WNBA.

IP IP Logged
wnbarocks

Quote wnbarocks Replybullet Posted: 24Sep2012 at 9:13am
I think that Pokey being overseas is a good thing, especially in regards to coaching. She gets more coaching experience while she is there & gets to work with other WNBA players, including coaching some of our own players. She gets to try different plays out. I think that it makes her a better coach.

As for the GM part, it seems that she is where most of the WNBA players are in terms of seeing them play and getting to know them better. She also can negotiate contracts and get free agents. Plus, as with Sonja, she can get some European players to come to Chicago. As for college players, she certainly can watch tape, and has Jeff House going all over the country watching games. He is good at that. Does it really matter if she calling or Skyping from Russia versus Chicago? I believe that she is committed to the Sky.

I don't think that she is the best GM in the WNBA or anything, but I wouldn't say that it was because she works overseas.
IP IP Logged
Sec113Maven

Quote Sec113Maven Replybullet Posted: 24Sep2012 at 9:52am
Those are good points wnbarocks. I guess there are good things about Pokey being overseas. Also, she is coaching the #1 team in the Euroleague....hmmm....I wonder if she can convince some of those WNBA free agents who play overseas to come to the Sky...

Heart
Sec113Maven
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 7 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version