Return to www.chicagosky.net.

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chicago Sky 2012 (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Chicago Sky TalkSky Team TalkChicago Sky 2012
Message Icon Topic: Looking Ahead Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 5 Next >>
Sec113Maven

Online Status: Offline
Quote Sec113Maven Replybullet Topic: Looking Ahead
    Posted: 21Sep2012 at 10:21am
Even though we didn't make the playoffs we have been in the running up to the end - with one of our two star players out with injury since the 9th game of the season. There were a lot of positives this year.

1) The Syl/Piph combo will be great next year if they both stay healthy. That was a winning combination for us at the start of the season.

2) Sloot really seemed to get her game going those last 10 games or so. I think she is going to have a wonderful season next year. She and Piph are a great combination and with Syl....yeah, good backbone for the future.

3) I love Young and I think Cash stepped up at critical times this season, but we need to get some strong Forwards.

4) Attendance was up 7% this year.

5) Swords stepped up and continues to improve as a back up for Syl.

I think Petrovic needs to go, last night's game only reinforced that in my mind. Ticha is retiring and Riley needs to go as well. I think Willingham is a toss up, she was better in the second half. Shay, Young, Cash and Swords would be ok with me for next year.

Of course Tuesday's Draft Lottery is huge for us.

What do the rest of you think looking ahead?

Heart

Edited by Sec113Maven - 21Sep2012 at 10:22am
Sec113Maven
IP IP Logged
brit479

Quote brit479 Replybullet Posted: 21Sep2012 at 10:53am
I agree, the Syl, Piph, and Sloot combo look good for us for the future. If all stay healthy. We definitely need to get some strong forwards-post players for next year. Riley, Willingham, and Cash can go. Very disappointed in the vets this year. I don't care if we have not one vet on the team next year. Honestly Syl and Piph can be the leaders. We need a backup pg badly as well. I'm hoping we get a top four pick in the draft.
*Sloot*Piph*Cash*EDD*Syl*

*Stay healthy and make some noise. GO SKY!!

IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 21Sep2012 at 11:15am
This is where I am..which is slightly modified:

Syl, EP, Sloot, Young, Shay, and Swords are solid keepers. No doubt in my mind.

Petro - Started out with a bang. I think gets down on herself and loses confidence...she missed two shots last night and she went to the bench on the time out with her head down. Petro has a good skill set...and she's a rookie. I think she had a rough time facing WNBA defense...she has too much potential to give up on in my book.

Swin - If Swin returns (she may retire), I think she's good from the bench and she brings good leadership. She's solid...10.6 ppg is nothing to shake a stick at...and she still plays good defense and can play PF & SF

Willingham and Riley have to go...The Sky has to get younger at PF.

Sky needs - PF, backup PG
The "BIG 5" Sloot, Quigley, DeShields, Lavender, and Dolson
IP IP Logged
vickilz

Quote vickilz Replybullet Posted: 21Sep2012 at 12:03pm

I too, think there are a lot of positives in this season.

Swin Cash. Since day one this season, Swin has been encouraging players when their shot didn't fall, calming players when their reactions and emotions are getting the better of them, help the team stay focused. It has been a long time since we've had a leader on the floor, and this year Swin stepped right into that role.  I loved watching when she'd grab a rebound or steal a pass, put her head down and take off down the court.  I hope she comes back next season.

LeCoe. Ok, I know I'm in a minority here. There is no flash or highlight moments to LeCoe's game. But there is plenty of hustle and passsion.  She is small for her  position, but a decent rebounder, she can knock down the 3, she does the grunt work. Will she be back next year? Should she be back next year? I wouldn't count her out.

Piph - WOW! If only she hadn't gone down with the foot injury.

Sloot -ended the season well. Maybe next year she'll pick up where she left off this season.

Young & Murphy - both players that hustle, play lock down defense and knock down their shots.

Swords - showed a lot of growth during the season. If only we could get the ball inside to her on more plays. 

The crowd - despite some very low attendance at a couple of games, the energy level was amazing.

On the down side -

I was disappointed in Riley. I was looking forward to a great high low game between Ruth and Syl. Never happened.

Petro - the player I always rooted for, I wanted her to light up the arena with her game. Rarely happened. Maybe she was having trouble to life in the USA?

Syl - will we ever have a full season without injury?

Ticha - sad that she was injured so much this season.

Looking forward to the draft lottery on the 26th and to the 2013 season!
IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 21Sep2012 at 12:50pm
I think LeCoe and Riley have to go purely based on their age...The Sky cannot be 31 & 33 at PF...Confused

IP IP Logged
fanbetty

Quote fanbetty Replybullet Posted: 21Sep2012 at 1:06pm

I agree with Syl and Prince- both solid WNBA players.  Sloot certainly improved since the Olympic break, but she is still either a solid back-up or needs a solid back-up.  The drive to the basket is a big help to her game, but the outside shot has to get better...much better.

We have far too much age on this team.  Yes, Cash was a good contributor, but she has lots of miles and she had many games with defensive issues.  Riley, LaCoe- we are not winning anything with them as contributors.  Shay and Young are good players, but not 35 minute per game, every game players.   

Swords- we certainly saw her plus and minuses last night.  Lots of open lay-ups because she was ignored.  If only we can count on that for her and other players.  Defensively, she just could not keep up with the speed of the game.  They killed her using DeSouza on the high post and then blowing by and going back door.

Last- the coach and GM...we certainly need one!
IP IP Logged
Tonette10

Quote Tonette10 Replybullet Posted: 21Sep2012 at 3:45pm
Next year I am looking forward to watching women compete in the WNBA. I am looking forward to this team going through some player changes and coming into the season with a chip on their shoulder.

I said as soon as we signed Riley that it was a mistake. Numbers don't lie. I think she needs to be honest with herself and let this game go and continue to be a great humanitarian (sp?).

LeCoe had a small handful of games where I didn't want to trade her for a bag of chips (got that from someone else). But for the most part I am ready to see her go. I wish her the best moving forward not in Chicago.

Swin is a toss to me. I don't think she wants to go to another team if she is playing again next year. So with that I think if she wants to play she will stay in Chicago.

Petro started well but ended terrible. I think she will be back.

Shay&Tamera I do believe will be back. Defensively Tamera earned her spot and if we could bottle the energy and passion she has and give it to the rest of the team it would be amazing. Shay I think deserves to stay for about the same reasons as Tamera.

Swords is a decent back up for Syl so keep her for the moment. I will leave it at that.

Piph and Syl no need to comment on those 2.

*I reserve the right to change my mind after the draft and subsequently into winter/spring.*

Edited by Tonette10 - 21Sep2012 at 3:47pm
JUST WIN THAT IS ALL
IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 21Sep2012 at 4:17pm
I look ahead now to the lottery...one player has my interest:

DELLA DONNE
!!! Thumbs%20Up
IP IP Logged
mavcarter

Quote mavcarter Replybullet Posted: 21Sep2012 at 6:22pm
Syl and Piph, no comment.

While Vandersloot had a better second half, she's still a low percentage shooter, even when she's wide open more than half the time. A part of me wants Diggins so she can actually challenge her for that starting PG spot and keep it! When you lose your starting spot to a 40 year old, you know something ain't right.

Young is interesting. I feel like her defense is a bit overrated and she can't shoot, which was one of our key weaknesses. I'd keep Murphy because she can actually shoot. Defense wasn't our problem, offense is.

Hopefully we bring some good players into camp (Wojta, Chester, Natasha Lacy) and be active with free agents (Bonner, McCoughtry, Kia Vaughn, Montgomery, January).

And hopefully Alter puts Pokey on the hot seat, because this was a collective failed season. Everyone played a part.
IP IP Logged
lilsmoothfan

Quote lilsmoothfan Replybullet Posted: 21Sep2012 at 8:03pm
I want Angel to stay in Atlanta right where she is. Dont bring that drama to Chicago;
Brit I love Piph and Syl but I don't think can serve as a team leader. We need Cash for that. Cash first half wasn't good but she did produce during the second half. You know I love Young, Somebody stated her defense is overrated actually I think its underrated. I want her to improve more with offense. I love Shay's energy level. I do think Petro will get beter. Give her another year. Sword has improved and did a good job when got the chance to play a few minutes. I think the year was sort of bad for Ruth, but I like her. LeCoe had some good days.
Oh well that's my overview.
The Unsung Hero: From A Dream to the Sky
IP IP Logged
Page  of 5 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version