Return to www.chicagosky.net.

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chicago Sky 2012 (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Chicago Sky TalkSky Team TalkChicago Sky 2012
Message Icon Topic: Trades and Free Agency 2013 Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 3 Next >>
brit479

Online Status: Offline
Quote brit479 Replybullet Topic: Trades and Free Agency 2013
    Posted: 30Sep2012 at 6:51am
This is going to be a long off season but I'm thinking about the Draft and improvements to be made for this team. Obviously we are going to be picking either Diggins or Delle Donne. Our biggest needs are PG, PF so were in a perfect position in the draft. Reading Pokey's interview in the Daily Herald I got the feeling she is considering both players, based on her comments on those players. Which makes for an interesting college season, and to see how these players have improved from the last couple of years and how far they take their teams this season. I have a wish list of players I want on the team that we can get through trades or just free agency depending on situations.

If we draft Diggins, players I want in the front court:

Jantel Lavendar
Kayla Pedersen
Glory Johnson
Nicky Anosike
Amber Harris

Some of these player were good players in college and are not getting enough minutes on their current team. Glory Johnson had the best season out of those players. I also think Tulsa would make good trading partners, they have plenty of PF's.

If we draft Delle Donne, players I want in the backcourt:

Ivory Latta
Candice Wiggins
Sydney Colson
Natasha Lacy
Renee Montgomery

The point guard position is pretty thin for us and was this year with Ticha being injured all season and Piph getting injured as well. Sloot was the only ball handler. Sloot is still learning the wnba game, and is turnover prone. But she has showed improvements. I like what Pokey said about having two players in that position to relieve pressure being a good thing for a team. I agree.

Note: This is just an open opinion on this off season (draft, trades etc.). I'm not saying who we should draft just expressing my opinions. I'm keeping an open mind with this draft. Wink

Edited by brit479 - 30Sep2012 at 6:55am
*Sloot*Piph*Cash*EDD*Syl*

*Stay healthy and make some noise. GO SKY!!

IP IP Logged
Sec113Maven

Quote Sec113Maven Replybullet Posted: 02Oct2012 at 9:57am
I really think Renee Montgomery is ripe for picking....and Candice Wiggins too. They are too good to be coming off the bench and Montgomery is the WNBA 6th "man" this year....I have liked her since her college days. And Wiggins can energize a team, besides being a great player. Latta is great too.

I have never been a fan of Anosike. Augustus is playing for Pokey in Russia this off season so I think Pokey needs to start planting the seed in her head of coming to Chicago. Minnesota will not be able to afford all of those star players, they have to let a few go. I don't see Tulsa letting go of Glory Johnson, she has been too important to that team.

I think Tulsa would want Diggins, so if we get Delle Donne everyone will be happy.

Edited by Sec113Maven - 02Oct2012 at 9:58am
Sec113Maven
IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 02Oct2012 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by Sec113Maven

I really think Renee Montgomery is ripe for picking....and Candice Wiggins too. They are too good to be coming off the bench and Montgomery is the WNBA 6th "man" this year....I have liked her since her college days. And Wiggins can energize a team, besides being a great player. Latta is great too.

I have never been a fan of Anosike. Augustus is playing for Pokey in Russia this off season so I think Pokey needs to start planting the seed in her head of coming to Chicago. Minnesota will not be able to afford all of those star players, they have to let a few go. I don't see Tulsa letting go of Glory Johnson, she has been too important to that team.

I think Tulsa would want Diggins, so if we get Delle Donne everyone will be happy.

Not so sure about Montgomery because Kara Lawson is up in age and with a bright future in broadcasting and coaching. Conn may very well hang on to Montgomery not knowing when Lawson will retire.

However, make no bones about it, if Montgomery were to come to The Sky...Sloot immediately becomes the backup.

Glory Johnson has made her mark in Tulsa already...she stays.

When it comes to Anosike, she'll be healthy this year, but one has to understand you get a "defensive" player first in Anosike, offense is not her forte except inside.

I think Tulsa may want Diggins. She's has size over Tameka Johnson and Ivory Latta. If they take Diggins, one of those two goes, and it's probably Latta because her size is a liability on defense. If Latta goes, I'm just not so sure Diggins will beat out Tameka Johnson. The lady avgd 12ppg and is a vicious defender. Diggins will be coming up against some great WNBA guards.

Edited by T_Woodie - 02Oct2012 at 1:04pm
The "BIG 5" Sloot, Quigley, DeShields, Parker, and Dolson
IP IP Logged
brit479

Quote brit479 Replybullet Posted: 02Oct2012 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Sec113Maven

Good post SecMaven, good your open to ideas. I'm actually leaning more towards Delle Donne because we really need help up front and the PF spot is a glaring hole for us. Reading that daily herald article though Pokey made it seem like she's a small forward with PF height. Don't know if that's good or bad in her eye sight. Diggins is going to be a good player as well, but I'm fine with us getting guard help through free agency and drafting Delle Donne. The college season has yet to start, but it will be interesting to see who stock rises with the whole predicted draft candidates.

IP IP Logged
Jimmmy2

Quote Jimmmy2 Replybullet Posted: 02Oct2012 at 8:04pm
   T W, the Slo, post bothered me as she is doing so much better. But then I thought about it and Law, is sooo professional that your right. After already being an announcer she probably had the hindsight motivation to really improve and match up with the players she was covering.

Edited by Jimmmy2 - 02Oct2012 at 8:04pm
In the long run.It's better to have a bad outcome doing things right.Than a good one doing things wrong.
IP IP Logged
Jimmmy2

Quote Jimmmy2 Replybullet Posted: 03Oct2012 at 1:15pm
     Liveaccess didn't signin for me. Not a wrong password or account not active just no response on the signin button . Going to the top off the page and clicking on teams selecting MIN and going to their site. I was able to click the Oct 2 SEA game and was already signed in.   Wow Sue has all the skills of a great point guard. My old complaints against her are all gone.   The Liveaccess feed jeetered sound and video for the first 5 min than settled down to doing it rarely. Whalen basically won playing with one hand.
In the long run.It's better to have a bad outcome doing things right.Than a good one doing things wrong.
IP IP Logged
fanbetty

Quote fanbetty Replybullet Posted: 03Oct2012 at 1:44pm
We need better shooters to take the burden off Piph and Syl.  Montgomery and Pedersen are both near the bottom of the league in shooting percentage.  In fact, Montgomery's shooting numbers have gone down each year she has been in the league.

I love the idea that Pokey should be recruiting.  If she were to get Augustus or a similar player to sign with us, you will see Fan Betty posting daily about what a great coach/GM she is!  That is a promise.
IP IP Logged
brit479

Quote brit479 Replybullet Posted: 04Oct2012 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by fanbetty

We need better shooters to take the burden off Piph and Syl.  Montgomery and Pedersen are both near the bottom of the league in shooting percentage.  In fact, Montgomery's shooting numbers have gone down each year she has been in the league.

I love the idea that Pokey should be recruiting.  If she were to get Augustus or a similar player to sign with us, you will see Fan Betty posting daily about what a great coach/GM she is!  That is a promise.

Fanbetty I usually agree with you but....Montgomery can get hot any given game and she recently won 6th man of the year award despite her percentage. Pedersen just isn't fitting in with Tulsa, she's a smart player and can hustle. She would fit good with this team, not saying she is starter material here just a nice role player. I thought we had some good shooters this year with Murphy, Petro, Piph, Vandersloot, and Swin at times. They were atleast enough to get it done. The offensive scheme just wasn't the best. As for Pokey recruiting while overseas, I hope to see more of that from her. The only person she brought from over there was Petro. She needs to be really active this offseason as far as attracting big name free agents as well. And no I'm not talking about washed up players like Riley and Lecoe types. We need young but seasoned players who can contribute consistently. We just can't depend on draft pick alone to help us into the playoffs.

IP IP Logged
Jimmmy2

Quote Jimmmy2 Replybullet Posted: 05Oct2012 at 12:17pm
   Happy birthday T W, hope the best for you.
IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 05Oct2012 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Jimmmy2

Happy birthday T W, hope the best for you.

Thanks Jimmy...

I appreciate that!
The "BIG 5" Sloot, Quigley, DeShields, Parker, and Dolson
IP IP Logged
Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version