Return to www.chicagosky.net.

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chicago Sky 2012 (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Chicago Sky TalkSky Team TalkChicago Sky 2012
Message Icon Topic: Della Donne Wants The Sky!!! Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 12 Next >>
Swish

Online Status: Offline
Quote Swish Replybullet Posted: 20Oct2012 at 9:12pm
I want to watch EDD play college ball this season. Does any one know if they are going to show any Delaware games on TV?

Edited by Swish - 20Oct2012 at 9:12pm

IP IP Logged
Jimmmy2

Quote Jimmmy2 Replybullet Posted: 21Oct2012 at 3:18am
   In her chat she said she's going to work on her side to side speed so she can keep up with quick guards. I think the guard position is where she gets a lot of playtime. It will be interesting to watch her improvements in speed. Instead of emphasizing her morals by calling her Captain America. I'll have to emphasize her speed and call her the Flash(or better yet name her after a female superhero lol).   Anyway as long as a player is doing their best and using good techniques, they could get arrested as a drunk and miss every shot. I'd accept them. We're all just people after all. Nobody is really a superhero.
In the long run.It's better to have a bad outcome doing things right.Than a good one doing things wrong.
IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 21Oct2012 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by Swish

I want to watch EDD play college ball this season. Does any one know if they are going to show any Delaware games on TV?

I would say you have to hope firstrowsports.com will cover the women's NCAA.

If they do...you'll get to see her.
The "BIG 5" Sloot, Quigley, DeShields, Parker, and Dolson
IP IP Logged
idchafee
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote idchafee Replybullet Posted: 22Oct2012 at 12:33am
Originally posted by T_Woodie

No way Syl get's traded.

Even if they have her replacement (Griner) in house, and could get two solid starters for her?
IP IP Logged
Swish

Quote Swish Replybullet Posted: 22Oct2012 at 9:42am
Idchaffe, trading away Big Syl would have to come under some special circumstances for that to happen. For one, the trading partner would have to be a Western Conference team. The Sky organization would not want to have to play against Big Syl four to five games a year if she was in the Eastern Conference. Phoenix of course would have to draft EDD instead of Griner. No women's basketball fan believes that will really happen. Griner will become the most dominant center in the league one day. There is no way Phoenix will let something of that value just slip through their fingers!
But if Phoenix does drafts EDD instead of Griner, then Chicago should of course draft Griner. Big Syl is a great player but she is NOT a power forward. Syl does not have the shooting range to play away from the basket. Chicago would have to make a decision on which CENTER they will keep and which one they should trade.
Under we will get Griner option in the 2013 draft, I believe that the best trading partners would involve both Tulsa and San Antonio in a three team trade. Tulsa would trade Cambage to San Antonio for Danielle Robinson. The Sky would trade Fowles/Griner and Vandersloot to Tulsa for Glory Johnson, Danielle Robinson and the #3 pick in the 2013 draft. Vandersloot would also be shipped to San Antonio as part of the draft deal. I believe that in this trade option everyone's needs would be met. The Sky would get two great post players and two point guards. Tulsa would get a great center and San Antonio would get a center and a point guard.

Edited by Swish - 22Oct2012 at 9:44am

IP IP Logged
fanbetty

Quote fanbetty Replybullet Posted: 22Oct2012 at 1:03pm
Swish-
Totally agree with what you say.  As much as it would be a great scenario if it would work to have "Twin Towers" on the team, Syl just is not a power forward.  Defensively, they would be a nightmare for opponents, but offensively they would not mesh.  You need your PF to be accurate up to 18 feet in order to clear the lane for your center to operate.  That's one of the reason's Syl had so much trouble this year.  She got double teammed off the ball because no one respected our PFs. 
IP IP Logged
Jimmmy2

Quote Jimmmy2 Replybullet Posted: 22Oct2012 at 2:25pm
   Swish, we have brought this up in other posts. But doesn't Syls great free throw shooting prove she can shoot from at least that distance. She was so hurt this year, I don't think her position evaluation could be fair. At moments of feeling good she has crafty shake n bake and that would work at medium range.
In the long run.It's better to have a bad outcome doing things right.Than a good one doing things wrong.
IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 22Oct2012 at 4:38pm
I don't get this idea that Syl cannot play the PF spot. It's not the PF that needs shooting range...it's the SF that does that.

Syl has a good jumper from 15'...we don't see her shoot that shot often because she's always playing center.

It would be fatal to trade Syl if Griner is the pick because Syl can very well play PF.

That's why the spot is called POWER forward...it's refers to a strong inside game...

Last I checked...these skills are those of a Power Forward:
The power forward position in basketball usually requires a combination of size and strength. The power forward usually plays in the post (close to the basket) and must rebound and effectively score from that area. Since the tallest players generally play near the basket, a power forward must use his body to create separation from taller defenders and create a path to the basket.

Help me out if I missed something...becuase that is Big Syl easily!

Edited by T_Woodie - 22Oct2012 at 5:41pm
IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 22Oct2012 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by Swish

Idchaffe, trading away Big Syl would have to come under some special circumstances for that to happen. For one, the trading partner would have to be a Western Conference team. The Sky organization would not want to have to play against Big Syl four to five games a year if she was in the Eastern Conference. Phoenix of course would have to draft EDD instead of Griner. No women's basketball fan believes that will really happen. Griner will become the most dominant center in the league one day. There is no way Phoenix will let something of that value just slip through their fingers!
But if Phoenix does drafts EDD instead of Griner, then Chicago should of course draft Griner. Big Syl is a great player but she is NOT a power forward. Syl does not have the shooting range to play away from the basket. Chicago would have to make a decision on which CENTER they will keep and which one they should trade.
Under we will get Griner option in the 2013 draft, I believe that the best trading partners would involve both Tulsa and San Antonio in a three team trade. Tulsa would trade Cambage to San Antonio for Danielle Robinson. The Sky would trade Fowles/Griner and Vandersloot to Tulsa for Glory Johnson, Danielle Robinson and the #3 pick in the 2013 draft. Vandersloot would also be shipped to San Antonio as part of the draft deal. I believe that in this trade option everyone's needs would be met. The Sky would get two great post players and two point guards. Tulsa would get a great center and San Antonio would get a center and a point guard.

Just no Swish! I can't agree with that logic.

EDD is a great addition if The Sky can get her...but even EDD is not a pure PF. She is in the mold of Candace Parker, and therefore the term "hybrid forward" fit her.

EDD (like Parker) has no power game. She has quickness and size and therefore would have an advatntage in the post.

As I see it there's no need whatsover to trade Sloot or Syl if you get EDD. What elese do you need???

Look at the starting line up:

Sloot
EP
Big Syl
EDD
Swin

Look at your bench:
Swords
Petro
TYoung
Murphy

You have room to get a backup PG and PF.

Forget about any trade to get Glory Johnson...NO WAY Tulsa does that. Tulsa will have a formidable front line of Johnson, Cambage, and Pederson.

If the Sky gets Griner...the line up becomes:

Sloot
EP
Griner
Big Syl
Swin

Still an awesome lineup! I think with the growth of Sloot and EP together it's not good to change the guard situation. Those two have been together two years now. You let that flow.

A consideration for trade in my book would be Swords to The SASS for Robinson. That could happen.
IP IP Logged
Swish

Quote Swish Replybullet Posted: 22Oct2012 at 11:33pm
Old school power forwards did play close to the basket just like a center on offense. The game has evolved to the point now where a power forward must be able to hit a consistent midrange shot. I have followed Fowles career since she was at LSU. She has NEVER been a good midrange shooter. Fowles is a center. She is a great center. Erika DeSouza has a better midrange shot than Fowles.
Please do not misunderstand my position,TWoodie. I do not want to trade Fowles because she is my favorite player on the Sky. The only point that I am making is that Fowles and Griner could not coexist on offense. A team like Indy with their undersize posts would disrupt Chicago's offense to continue to be Turnover Queens if they tried this Twin Towers concept.
We do agree that the best player for the Sky to draft is EDD. My position there has not changed. I was using a mock trade idea only if Phoenix does not draft Griner but EDD.
Pokey loves tall posts players but she never made an effort to play both Swords and Fowles at the same time. I know there is a reason for that and that is that both Fowles and Swords would have gotten in each other's way on offense. Pokey probably tried the twin tower concept in practice and it never worked.

If Tulsa had the opportunity to get Griner they would jump on that trade. Tulsa had high expectations of Cambage and what she did this summer was bogus! The Tulsa organization would have to question her commitment to playing in the WNBA.

Edited by Swish - 22Oct2012 at 11:45pm

IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 12 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version