Return to www.chicagosky.net.

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chicago Sky 2012 (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Chicago Sky TalkSky Team TalkChicago Sky 2012
Message Icon Topic: Della Donne Wants The Sky!!! Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 12 Next >>
Jimmmy2

Online Status: Offline
Quote Jimmmy2 Replybullet Posted: 23Oct2012 at 2:25am
    Cambage leaving for her country's Olympics. Took me a while to remember.
In the long run.It's better to have a bad outcome doing things right.Than a good one doing things wrong.
IP IP Logged
mavcarter

Quote mavcarter Replybullet Posted: 23Oct2012 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by T_Woodie

I don't get this idea that Syl cannot play the PF spot. It's not the PF that needs shooting range...it's the SF that does that.

Syl has a good jumper from 15'...we don't see her shoot that shot often because she's always playing center.

It would be fatal to trade Syl if Griner is the pick because Syl can very well play PF.

That's why the spot is called POWER forward...it's refers to a strong inside game...

Last I checked...these skills are those of a Power Forward:
The power forward position in basketball usually requires a combination of size and strength. The power forward usually plays in the post (close to the basket) and must rebound and effectively score from that area. Since the tallest players generally play near the basket, a power forward must use his body to create separation from taller defenders and create a path to the basket.

Help me out if I missed something...becuase that is Big Syl easily!

Great post!
IP IP Logged
Swish

Quote Swish Replybullet Posted: 23Oct2012 at 2:11pm
When a team has a great post player the best offensive scheme to do is to give said post player room in the paint to dominate his/her opponent. The Houston Rockets championship teams of the mid-nineties was the perfect example of using this offensive scheme. The Rockets center back then was the GREAT Hakeem Olajuwon. No player in the NBA could defend this player by himself just like Big Syl. The Rockets designed an offensive scheme that put four players outside of the three point line. Kenny Smith, Vernon Maxwell, Robert Horry, and Mario Ellie could all shoot three point shots very well. Any team that was dumb enough to double or triple team Olajuwon would pay for this tactic because Olajuwon knew where all of his teammates were at on the floor and would pass the ball to them. The Rockets would kill teams with their accurate three point shooting! When teams try to stay home on the three point shooters Olajuwon would dominate whatever player tried to guard him.
Baylor use a similar tactic last season with Griner. During the NCAA tournament whenever any team tried to double team Griner she knew she had teammates that could either knock down three point shots or make their midrange jumpshots, i.e. Baylor's power forward Destiny Williams that has a good midrange jumpshot. Any team that tried to play Griner straight up she destroyed them. That is how you spread the floor when you have a great dominating post player.

Edited by Swish - 23Oct2012 at 2:13pm

IP IP Logged
fanbetty

Quote fanbetty Replybullet Posted: 23Oct2012 at 2:42pm
I'm confused why anyone would want to make Sylvia a PF even if she had some skill.  The postings made me curious if the numbers backed my recollection of Syl's season.  Since I must have too much time on my hands, I went thru all the play by plays on WNBA.com and came up with the following for this season:
1) Syl was #1 in the league in FG% and is #1 for career FG%
2) From less than 3 feet, Syl shot 74% this year (139-187)
3) From 3' to 5' she shot 34% this year (8-23)
4) From 6' to 10' she shot 33% this year (7-21)
5) From more than 10' she shot 20% (3-15)

Sorry, but not what I want in a power forward.  We have plenty of players who can miss from 6' and out.  Moving Syl there would just screw up another position on the team.
IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 23Oct2012 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Swish

Old school power forwards did play close to the basket just like a center on offense. The game has evolved to the point now where a power forward must be able to hit a consistent midrange shot. I have followed Fowles career since she was at LSU. She has NEVER been a good midrange shooter. Fowles is a center. She is a great center. Erika DeSouza has a better midrange shot than Fowles.
Please do not misunderstand my position,TWoodie. I do not want to trade Fowles because she is my favorite player on the Sky. The only point that I am making is that Fowles and Griner could not coexist on offense. A team like Indy with their undersize posts would disrupt Chicago's offense to continue to be Turnover Queens if they tried this Twin Towers concept.
We do agree that the best player for the Sky to draft is EDD. My position there has not changed. I was using a mock trade idea only if Phoenix does not draft Griner but EDD.
Pokey loves tall posts players but she never made an effort to play both Swords and Fowles at the same time. I know there is a reason for that and that is that both Fowles and Swords would have gotten in each other's way on offense. Pokey probably tried the twin tower concept in practice and it never worked.

If Tulsa had the opportunity to get Griner they would jump on that trade. Tulsa had high expectations of Cambage and what she did this summer was bogus! The Tulsa organization would have to question her commitment to playing in the WNBA.

We're going to agree to disagree here Swish. But first...I'm with you...I want Della Donne and it would be great if The Sky gets her.

I think Griner and Syl can easily co-exist together because Syl has the experience. She has played center and she knows that Griner will need room to operate.

When Griner gets the feed she will know she has help on the strong side. If she has no shot how can they stop her from finding Syl??? Griner get's Syl the ball and if Syl has a shot she takes it...if she has no shot she can go back to the top and reset the offense or go back to Griner on a repost. If a shot goes up you have Syl and Griner on the boards.

All it will take is practice...and they'll get plenty in camp.

Yes...ypu still have "old school" PFs...The Sky had one...we called her CD4.
The "BIG 5" Sloot, Quigley, DeShields, Parker, and Dolson
IP IP Logged
Swish

Quote Swish Replybullet Posted: 23Oct2012 at 3:03pm
The way to stop a Fowles-Griner post combo is to use three players to guard two and dare the rest of the team to make their outside shots. If the spacing is too close three defenders can guard two tall post players. This tactic works %90 of the time with guarding the Sky. Teams dare them to make their outside jumpshots and they can not make them(Vandersloot,Cash,Young,etc...). If you check out the Sky website you would see that opponents made more three point shots against the Sky. The Sky have just two good three point shooters and that is Murphy and Prince. The rest of our outside shooters are not dependable. Streaky.

A Griner-Fowles post combo would work on defense. But there would not be enough spacing on offense to take advantage on what they do best. One more thing, when Candie girl played for the Sky she had a consistent midrange jumpshot.

Edited by Swish - 23Oct2012 at 3:18pm

IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 23Oct2012 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by Swish

The way to stop a Fowles-Griner post combo is to use three players to guard two and dare the rest of the team to make their outside shots. If the spacing is too close three defenders can guard two tall post players. This tactic works %90 of the time with guarding the Sky. Teams dare them to make their outside jumpshots and they can not make them(Vandersloot,Cash,Young,etc...). If you check out the Sky website you would see that opponents made more three point shots against the Sky. The Sky have just two good three point shooters and that is Murphy and Prince. The rest of our outside shooters are not dependable. Streaky.

A Griner-Fowles post combo would work on defense. But there would not be enough spacing on offense to take advantage on what they do best. One more thing, when Candie girl played for the Sky she had a consistent midrange jumpshot.

That was last year Swish. Surely you don't think a pure shooter like Petro will have a year like she had. Sloot was coming on nicely at the end too.

You cannot neglect the size advantage Swish. Griner is 6' 8", Syl is 6' 6"...they easily shoot over their opposition. But more than that Syl is a Beast! She can grind it out with the best of them. Griner will have to put on some weight but in the middle she will be a handful. THE SKY OWNS THE BOARDS...so if the perimeter shots don't fall...Syl and Griner will clean it up.

Is your memory failing you as to how well Sloot played down the stretch??? She's not the "scared rabbit" you once called her. Did you forget how she stood up to Whalen when Minny came here? Sloot did the schooling that day!

Think about the picks Syl and Griner will set for EP and Sloot driving the cup. I'm telling you it's MONEY!!!

Think about the pick and roll game The Sky can run! Let teams challenge EP, Sloot, Cash, Petro, and Shay to shoot from the outside, The Sky will own the boards! You'll see. If The Sky were to end up with Griner it will work. Especially with a warrior like Swin at the SF.

ARE You kidding me? Big Syl, Griner, and Swin on the front line is a pretty awesome front line. Then you have Petro TYoung and Swords off the bench.

But my hope is for Della Donne first. If Phoenix takes EDD...Pokey would be insane to even entertain a trade unless it involves Candace Parker.

Edited by T_Woodie - 23Oct2012 at 11:31pm
IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 24Oct2012 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by fanbetty

I'm confused why anyone would want to make Sylvia a PF even if she had some skill.  The postings made me curious if the numbers backed my recollection of Syl's season.  Since I must have too much time on my hands, I went thru all the play by plays on WNBA.com and came up with the following for this season:
1) Syl was #1 in the league in FG% and is #1 for career FG%

2) From less than 3 feet, Syl shot 74% this year (139-187)

3) From 3' to 5' she shot 34% this year (8-23)

4) From 6' to 10' she shot 33% this year (7-21)

5) From more than 10' she shot 20% (3-15)

Sorry, but not what I want in a power forward.  We have plenty of players who can miss from 6' and out.  Moving Syl there would just screw up another position on the team.

Fanbetty, you can post all the stats you want. That doesn't mean Syl cannot play PF. Her game says she can and unless you forget, most PFs score within 10' of the basket.

There are exception when you look at the "swing" forward or hybrid player like Candace Parker.

PF in the true definition of the position are players like Ogwumike, Dupree, Brunson, and the like.

Watch and see...if The Sky ends up with Griner, Syl will be the PF.

I don't even have to guess about that. I KNOW Pokey has already arrived at that decision, and Syl as well has commented that she thinks if The Sky ends up with Grine they will be good together!

Here's an excerpt of what was said:

But if for some reason the Mercury goes in another direction, watch out. The thought of Griner playing alongside 6-foot-6 Sky center Sylvia Fowles is enough to make one’s head explode. It would be the most formidable and intimidating frontcourt in WNBA history.

“I love that idea,” Fowles told me with a gigantic smile after the Sky’s season finale last weekend. “It would be like, ‘Pick your poison.’ They (defenses) couldn’t double or triple me anymore. I think we’d work well together.” So does Sky coach and general manager Pokey Chatman, who told me this week that playing two centers at once might be a bit unconventional but that it could work given the unusual athleticism of both Fowles and Griner.

Speaking of athleticism, how about Delaware’s Delle Donne? She was highly recruited out of high school and had been planning to play at perennial power Connecticut. But a family situation forced her to stay closer to home. Even though she’s playing on a smaller stage, it’s clear to many that Delle Donne is a major-leaguer. Her unique combination of size (6-feet-5), speed and sharp shooting skills makes her an attractive option at the forward spot, which has been the Sky’s most suspect area in recent years. It almost has been a position by committee as Chatman has used different players and different combinations depending on matchups and situations.

The rest is here:
www.dailyherald.com/article/20120928/sports/709289611/print/ 2/3

Edited by T_Woodie - 24Oct2012 at 1:32pm
IP IP Logged
Jimmmy2

Quote Jimmmy2 Replybullet Posted: 24Oct2012 at 3:39pm
   T Woodie, the fanbetty stats do cover under 10ft. But these stats are off an injured Syl. She can do way better if healthy. The link you provided has the Sky url embedded in it. Also it is the print page setup for the article when the Sky url is removed.
In the long run.It's better to have a bad outcome doing things right.Than a good one doing things wrong.
IP IP Logged
fanbetty

Quote fanbetty Replybullet Posted: 24Oct2012 at 4:07pm
Maybe I am watching too much men's basketball where the PF is the high post and screens, plays pick and pop and frees the middle for the center by taking his man outside, but it seems like all effective PF shoot from 15-18'.  They also have to be able to drive, usually into traffic, without getting the ball stripped. 

I don't think Syl has either skill, but the thought of her being only single covered on the low post is exciting.  She will shoot 80% for all the games she does not have to face Tina Charles who is the only WNBA player who can play her 1 on 1.  On defense, I'm sure she would be able to handle the PF role.  However, I think this is all an exercise in futility because there is no way Phoenix does not draft Griner and my biggest fear is that we will draft Diggins. 

Like most of you, I believe Della Donne is the player who makes the Sky move to the next level.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 12 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version