Return to www.chicagosky.net.

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chicago Sky 2013 (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Chicago Sky TalkSky Team TalkChicago Sky 2013
Message Icon Topic: The Della Donne Watch: Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 37 Next >>
T_Woodie

Online Status: Offline
Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 04Feb2013 at 10:46pm
Delaware 79 Hofstra 63

EDD: 36 mins, 35Pts, 9Rebs, 1Stl

Delaware now has a #20 Ranking.

Edited by T_Woodie - 04Feb2013 at 10:47pm
The "BIG 5" Sloot, Quigley, DeShields, Lavender, and Dolson
IP IP Logged
cardman
Groupie
Groupie

Quote cardman Replybullet Posted: 06Feb2013 at 10:50am
Originally posted by Sec113Maven

I am not sold on EDD. After just watching Diggins rack up 33 points against Tennessee, ranked #9, I am not impressed by EDDs high point totals against teams that are not even ranked.

I think EDD will be a problem if we draft her. If we are going to pick between her and Diggins I would take Diggins. I'd rather sign free agent  Lindsay Harding and trade the draft pick and Sloot for two proven forwards. We need to win now, not build for the future.

Agreed...Not just her play against unranked teams, but also her health, and stability.  The ability to play against top college players, is not the ability to play at the same level against the top pros.  When I posted before, about her performance at UCONN, I was reminded that she was young,etc, etc, etc.  I still believe she will be a problem.  The second pick can be traded for almost anybody that you could want...I did say almost.  We need to use that option.  We'll be a whole lot better off!!
IP IP Logged
Swish

Quote Swish Replybullet Posted: 06Feb2013 at 11:05am
Would all of you negative people be satisfied if Delle Donne played a top ten team in the NCAA tournament and scored thirty plus points against them? I really hope that happens this year. But I already know how you guys would respond to that. If Delaware plays a top ten team in the tournament and Delle Donne scores a lot of points but her team still loses you guys would still say that she is not any good!

Edited by Swish - 06Feb2013 at 4:23pm

IP IP Logged
Shades

Quote Shades Replybullet Posted: 06Feb2013 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by cardman

I am not sold on EDD. After just watching Diggins rack up 33 points against Tennessee, ranked #9, I am not impressed by EDDs high point totals against teams that are not even ranked. I think EDD will be a problem if we draft her. If we are going to pick between her and Diggins I would take Diggins. I'd rather sign free agent  Lindsay Harding and trade the draft pick and Sloot for two proven forwards. We need to win now, not build for the future.

Agreed...Not just her play against unranked teams, but also her health, and stability.  The ability to play against top college players, is not the ability to play at the same level against the top pros.  When I posted before, about her performance at UCONN, I was reminded that she was young,etc, etc, etc.  I still believe she will be a problem.  The second pick can be traded for almost anybody that you could want...I did say almost.  We need to use that option.  We'll be a whole lot better off!!

How would you feel about Langhorne for the #2 pick? This might be a real possibility because Thibault has been scouting Delle Donne pretty heavily.
IP IP Logged
fanbetty

Quote fanbetty Replybullet Posted: 06Feb2013 at 1:56pm
I am not hesitant at all on Della Donne.  Have seen her play on TV a couple of times and she has the skills and shooting ability to be a major player at WNBA level.  What is so amazing is her consistency.  Doesn't matter who she plays, the numbers are always there and her shooting accuracy is great.  Some players reach 20 or so points on 4-18 nights and some free throws (hello Skylar Diggins), but Della Donne is almost always hovering near 50%.

I looked back over her tournament history- the best schools she has had to face- and came up with the following:
2012 NCAA:
vs Arkansas Little Rock- 39 points, 11 rebounds in a win
vs Kanasa- 34 points, 10 rebounds in a loss
2011 NIT:
vs Toledo- 31 points, 12 rebounds in a loss

Seems like she stepped it up just fine. 
IP IP Logged
wnbarocks

Quote wnbarocks Replybullet Posted: 06Feb2013 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Shades

How would you feel about Langhorne for the #2 pick? This might be a real possibility because Thibault has been scouting Delle Donne pretty heavily.

I wouldn't feel good about that at all!
IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 06Feb2013 at 8:00pm
If Phoenix takes Griner and the next announcement isn't...

WITH THE SECOND PICK THE CHICAGO SKY SELECTS ELENA DELLA DONNE...

Head will start to roll starting with Pokey! This team needs scoring from the 4 spot!!!

Edited by T_Woodie - 06Feb2013 at 8:01pm
The "BIG 5" Sloot, Quigley, DeShields, Lavender, and Dolson
IP IP Logged
Shades

Quote Shades Replybullet Posted: 06Feb2013 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by T_Woodie

If Phoenix takes Griner and the next announcement isn't...WITH THE SECOND PICK THE CHICAGO SKY SELECTS ELENA DELLA DONNE...Head will start to roll starting with Pokey! This team needs scoring from the 4 spot!!!

My bet is the Delle Donne will play SF, or at least start out that way.

Did you guys realize that Delle Donne considers herself a guard?

So when you go from playing guard against Little People from the CAA to playing PF against big strong experienced women of the WNBA, that's what you call a big transition... not one that I expect will go smoothly. It'll probably be better to play Cash or whoever at the PF.
IP IP Logged
cardman
Groupie
Groupie

Quote cardman Replybullet Posted: 07Feb2013 at 3:39am
Originally posted by Shades

Originally posted by cardman

I am not sold on EDD. After just watching Diggins rack up 33 points against Tennessee, ranked #9, I am not impressed by EDDs high point totals against teams that are not even ranked. I think EDD will be a problem if we draft her. If we are going to pick between her and Diggins I would take Diggins. I'd rather sign free agent  Lindsay Harding and trade the draft pick and Sloot for two proven forwards. We need to win now, not build for the future.

A possibility worth persuing!!  Especially since Harding signed with LA.
IP IP Logged
vickilz

Quote vickilz Replybullet Posted: 07Feb2013 at 8:57am
I think EDD has the skills needed to play in the WNBA.

It's easy to discount her stats based on the competition (or lack thereof). I like to look beyond the stat line, I think that's where you see what the player really is about. Is she moving, making herself available to the ball? Is she following the shots for rebounds, setting screens? How about ball handling, not just dribbling, but handling and making passes? How does she move on defense, does she deny the opponent positioning, does she deny the opponent the ball, etc? What's her level of intenisty, especially on hustle plays?

The couple of games I've seen this year have been mixed. She has the skills, but her intensity has been low and she appeard to be waiting for the ball to get to her instead of getting to the ball. I may be wrong, but I've attributed this to conserving energy. In most situations I would dislike that plan, but since she is coming back from her illness it was probably best to not push her too hard. She still put up good stats in those games.

If she's drafted by the Sky, she will be an asset to the team. But as I've said before, Pokey has pulled a couple of surprises  in the past with our draft picks.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 37 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version