Return to www.chicagosky.net.

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chicago Sky 2013 (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Chicago Sky TalkSky Team TalkChicago Sky 2013
Message Icon Topic: Free Agents Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 30 Next >>
brit479

Online Status: Offline
Quote brit479 Replybullet Posted: 03Feb2013 at 7:24am
Originally posted by cardman

Originally posted by donquest

I had a rare chance to talk to Tangela Smith, and she indicated that she would love to play for the Sky, because she is a Chicago native and this might be her last year in the league. Let's hope that the "Basketball gods" will smile in our favor.

While I think it would have been a wonderful thing 4 or5 years ago, I just think she's too old.  Don't get me wrong, Tangela is one of my favorite players, but I want The Sky to Win, not be the final stop for past their prime, big names.  Yes, it's good for the box office, but not so much for winning championships.  Now, if they wanted to offer her an assistant coaching position.....

Agree, we need to move on from getting players in their last stages. We need players young or in their prime that will contribute for years. We need to build a stable team (a dynasty). We got solid pieces with Syl and Piph. Now it's just completing the puzzle.
*Sloot*Piph*Cash*EDD*Syl*

*Stay healthy and make some noise. GO SKY!!

IP IP Logged
Swish

Quote Swish Replybullet Posted: 03Feb2013 at 10:08am
Sky fans should look to Europe for talented YOUNG free agent players that want to play in the WNBA. The door on the Sky locker room should read Ladies, not Retirees!

IP IP Logged
Shades

Quote Shades Replybullet Posted: 04Feb2013 at 12:29am
Originally posted by Swish

Sky fans should look to Europe for talented YOUNG free agent players that want to play in the WNBA. The door on the Sky locker room should read Ladies, not Retirees!

So you think the Sky should hold a pre-camp try-out this year?
Won't the roster be pretty full already?  Who are you getting rid of? Don't say Riley because she's  under contract.

Edited by Shades - 04Feb2013 at 3:49pm
IP IP Logged
fanbetty

Quote fanbetty Replybullet Posted: 04Feb2013 at 1:03pm
Swish-
I'm not a big European fan, so I don't know who is over there and available, but maybe you can pass along a few names that we can all look into.  Pokey has been working the European circuit for the past few years and so far, all we have to show for it is Petro.  If I remember right, she brought in a couple others the last couple of years for camp and they couldn't make the roster.  I just don't think it's that easy to transition to WNBA play which is, from what I have been told, a much higher level than what there is in Europe.

Edited by fanbetty - 04Feb2013 at 1:04pm
IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 04Feb2013 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by fanbetty

Swish-
I'm not a big European fan, so I don't know who is over there and available, but maybe you can pass along a few names that we can all look into.  Pokey has been working the European circuit for the past few years and so far, all we have to show for it is Petro.  If I remember right, she brought in a couple others the last couple of years for camp and they couldn't make the roster.  I just don't think it's that easy to transition to WNBA play which is, from what I have been told, a much higher level than what there is in Europe.

What you have fanbetty is a big difference in attitude in my view. Many of the Euro players make more over there...so those who do come over...come to play with the best...not for money.
The "BIG 5" Sloot, Quigley, DeShields, Parker, and Dolson
IP IP Logged
Swish

Quote Swish Replybullet Posted: 05Feb2013 at 12:06am
When I reference looking at players in the European leagues and am not talking about European players but American players that play in the European leagues. There are several players that I am following and I hope Pokey invites some of these players to camp this year. This is the list of players that I am tracking.

Julie Wojta - Green Bay
Angelica Robinson - Georgia
Ashley Gayle - Texas
Amanda Johnson - Oregon
Ashley Shields
Sydney Colson - Texas A&M

I personally do not like European players. It is not because I do not think they are not great players, but most of them have commitment problems. They have a problem making a long term commitment to playing in the WNBA. I do not like that. I have washed my hands when it comes to European players.

IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 05Feb2013 at 12:02pm
Swish is right. But we know the WNBA is a superior league but the pay is less than Europe. That is a reason why so many WNBA players go to Europe. They make more money over there...and naturally they can work on their game too.

If you were a European player, would you come where there's stiffer competition for less money?

You can't hold it against the European players, they make more money and their at home.
The "BIG 5" Sloot, Quigley, DeShields, Parker, and Dolson
IP IP Logged
lilsmoothfan

Quote lilsmoothfan Replybullet Posted: 05Feb2013 at 2:31pm
Hardin is with the LA Sparks now. When is the WNBA going to start posting the 2013 transitions.
The Unsung Hero: From A Dream to the Sky
IP IP Logged
fanbetty

Quote fanbetty Replybullet Posted: 05Feb2013 at 2:47pm
I have been hearing for years about the big money in Europe and then that recently the big money is gone.  If you are Syl or Taurasi or that caliber, there is still far more money over there than the WNBA offers.  However, from what I see on the internet, the average salary in Europe ranges from about $6,000 per month for non-WNBA players to $13,000 per month for WNBA veterans.  The WNBA season runs about 4 months and average salary for veterans is about $53,000 or about $13,000 per month.  Except for the fact that the season runs longer, doesn't seem like a windfall.
IP IP Logged
Shades

Quote Shades Replybullet Posted: 05Feb2013 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by fanbetty

I have been hearing for years about the big money in Europe and then that recently the big money is gone.  If you are Syl or Taurasi or that caliber, there is still far more money over there than the WNBA offers.  However, from what I see on the internet, the average salary in Europe ranges from about $6,000 per month for non-WNBA players to $13,000 per month for WNBA veterans.  The WNBA season runs about 4 months and average salary for veterans is about $53,000 or about $13,000 per month.  Except for the fact that the season runs longer, doesn't seem like a windfall.

Yeah, the big money contracts you hear about come from the notoriety from playing in the WNBA or internationally or being a famous college player. Griner could skip the WNBA and still get a big money contract overseas.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 30 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version