Return to www.chicagosky.net.

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chicago Sky 2013 (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Chicago Sky TalkSky Team TalkChicago Sky 2013
Message Icon Topic: Congratulations Pokey Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 6 Next >>
fanbetty

Online Status: Offline
Quote fanbetty Replybullet Topic: Congratulations Pokey
    Posted: 12Feb2013 at 4:16pm
So we now have Pokey locked up for more years.  Personally, I think it is a bad move, but after missing out on Laimbeer, Donavan and Thibeault- probably the best thing to do.  Please, Pokey...bring in an offensive scheme that does not get Syl killed this year!  And, let's think "contending for a championship", not "contending for a playoff spot".
IP IP Logged
wnbarocks

Quote wnbarocks Replybullet Posted: 12Feb2013 at 4:37pm
Christie and Jeff were also signed as assistant coaches.
IP IP Logged
Swish

Quote Swish Replybullet Posted: 12Feb2013 at 5:04pm
The ownership believes in Pokey and her staff. I will not make any negative comments about her offensive tactics in this thread. I will save those comments for later. I will say this if the Sky continue to be the Turnover Queens of the WNBA then the current coaching staff should lose their jobs.

IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 12Feb2013 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by fanbetty

So we now have Pokey locked up for more years.  Personally, I think it is a bad move, but after missing out on Laimbeer, Donavan and Thibeault- probably the best thing to do.  Please, Pokey...bring in an offensive scheme that does not get Syl killed this year!  And, let's think "contending for a championship", not "contending for a playoff spot".

Fanbetty your kinda my "Sky Boo" around here. We bump heads from time to time...LIKE NOW...LOL

I luv ya to death but you're just wrong about Pokey. I know she lacks in areas...but she's a good coach.

She admits her own lacking and even was up front enough to say so.

Allow her to grow...she has her plan and she will execute it. Had she not lost EP last year The Sky is playoff bound for the first time.

The only way she can blow this if if she fails to draft EDD...as it seems she will be the pick.

She can't become Lynn Dunn or Bill Laimbeer overnite... but she will be.
The "BIG 5" Sloot, Quigley, DeShields, Parker, and Dolson
IP IP Logged
Tonette10

Quote Tonette10 Replybullet Posted: 12Feb2013 at 5:35pm
I love Pokey! However I would like to see at least one different assistant coach.
JUST WIN THAT IS ALL
IP IP Logged
Shades

Quote Shades Replybullet Posted: 12Feb2013 at 8:12pm

I  think you were lucky to "miss out" on Donovan.

How come Meadors is getting no props?
IP IP Logged
Sec113Maven

Quote Sec113Maven Replybullet Posted: 13Feb2013 at 11:16am
I think signing Pokey was a good move. I agree that with Laimbeer and Thibeault off the market Pokey is the best we are gonna get, and I think she will excel after adapting to the job more fully. I am not a fan of Donovan so I am glad she is out of the picture and Meadors would not be a good fit in my opinion.

I do think some shakeup in the Assistant Coaching staff was warranted, but hey, what do I know.

What thrills me the most about this is the Sky are looking forward to many more years. I always worry the franchise is going to fold if we don't make the playoffs. And I agree that we should be focused on being champions, not just making the playoffs.

The Maven
Sec113Maven
IP IP Logged
fanbetty

Quote fanbetty Replybullet Posted: 13Feb2013 at 11:25am
I have been a fan of Laimbeer's and Thibeault's for a long time.  Laimbeer's teams busted their butts for him and Thibeault has been a success at every level of basketball he has coached.  Donovan coached a WNBA team to a championship and a US Olympic team to a Gold Medal.  None of them "have to learn on the job".  They know how to do it.  After 2 years of watching Pokey try to learn, my conclusion is she doesn't get it yet.  How much longer do we have to wait?  A championship caliber coach would take the talent we have and compete for a championship!  Sorry- no more learning time is acceptable. 
IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 13Feb2013 at 12:25pm

I have been a fan of Laimbeer's and Thibeault's for a long time.  Laimbeer's teams busted their butts for him and Thibeault has been a success at every level of basketball he has coached.  Donovan coached a WNBA team to a championship and a US Olympic team to a Gold Medal.  None of them "have to learn on the job".  They know how to do it.  After 2 years of watching Pokey try to learn, my conclusion is she doesn't get it yet.  How much longer do we have to wait?  A championship caliber coach would take the talent we have and compete for a championship!  Sorry- no more learning time is acceptable. 

Fanbetty...are you "conveniently" forgetting the woes Pokey had losing the services of her stars EP an Big Syl?

That seems to be selective to me! I don't think Dunn wins the championship if she loses Catchings, do  you?

The point is...be fair...if Pokey doesn't lose EP at game 6 and Big Syl down the stretch, we have a different story.

Tell me the coaches that will succeed losing their 2 best players.

There are none!

*What happened to the Sparks without Parker?

*Phoenix without Taurasi?

*Seattle without Jackson

You're not being objective...you're being selective. Wink

Edited by T_Woodie - 13Feb2013 at 12:26pm
The "BIG 5" Sloot, Quigley, DeShields, Parker, and Dolson
IP IP Logged
cardman
Groupie
Groupie

Quote cardman Replybullet Posted: 13Feb2013 at 12:51pm

I totally agree.  I don't think you can coach the same way  in the W as you do in College and Europe.   And yes, Laimbeer's teams bust their butts for him, but ask Swin why she left Det.  Lack of respect.  Ask Izzie about Meaders in the ATL.  The same reason that Pokey is losing Big Syl.  Absolute power corrupts absolutely.  Cliche, I know, but true.
IP IP Logged
Page  of 6 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version