Return to www.chicagosky.net.

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chicago Sky 2013 (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Chicago Sky TalkSky Team TalkChicago Sky 2013
Message Icon Topic: A look to the Sky future Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 6 Next >>
idchafee
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote idchafee Replybullet Posted: 04Mar2013 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by fanbetty

I was just marveling today how 75% of the WNBA teams make the playoffs each year and we have never made it once in 7 tries.  If I was better at math, I could come up with the odds of that happening which I imagine looks pretty bad. 

(1/4)^7 = 0.006%
IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 05Mar2013 at 8:36am

T Woodie...If Pokey gets us to compete for a title, I will apologize to you and state to all that Pokey is a great, great coach.  If we fail to get to the playoffs or just barely squeek in and then get blown out in the first round- please join me in drive to get Pokey and her staff out of town and a competent, knowledgable, previously successful in the WNBA coach in her place.

I was just marveling today how 75% of the WNBA teams make the playoffs each year and we have never made it once in 7 tries.  If I was better at math, I could come up with the odds of that happening which I imagine looks pretty bad. 

This is the point fanbetty. There are always things that could be beyond your control as a HC/GM.

How do you blame Pokey for EP getting injured early last season and Big Syl getting injured late last season?

I'm not a "cut throat" win at all cost guy. Things beyond a coaches control I can't and won't attribute to the coach.

It's easy to blame the coach. Take a look at the roster of title teams, then come back and tell me how hard would it be if Pokey had those players.

The coach gets credit for building the team and once the get it built they work at maximizing the team's effort.

If Pokey doesn't draft EDD...that would be a real strike against her seeing that she's needed scoring from the PF spot since Dupree left.

Pokey's not perfect, and where I think she's weak (offense execution), I've said so...but just like any coach that comes in she's learning some things.

Pokey's philosophy is good defense leads to offense. The Sky has become one of the best defensive teams in the league...now she needs to add some offensive punch, and EDD is that punch.

Get ready to spread the floor! Thumbs%20Up

Edited by T_Woodie - 05Mar2013 at 11:43am
The "BIG 5" Sloot, Quigley, DeShields, Lavender, and Dolson
IP IP Logged
fanbetty

Quote fanbetty Replybullet Posted: 05Mar2013 at 2:06pm
I don't buy into that philosophy.  Either the team that was built by the GM was at fault or the coach was at fault.  We lost 1 player at a time last year, not 2 at the same time.  The team had so many holes that opposing defenses were able to stop the little amount of offense we had.  Either the GM should take the rap for putting together a less than adequate team or the coach should take the rap for not being able to produce with the resources she had.  In either case, the person is Pokey and she should have taken the fall.  I don't hear Tom Thibideaux talking about those bad injury issues with the Bulls who have lost far more talent than the Sky did last year and have nearly clinched a playoff berth.... and only 53% of the teams make the playoffs in the NBA, not 75% like the WNBA.
IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 05Mar2013 at 2:20pm

I don't buy into that philosophy.  Either the team that was built by the GM was at fault or the coach was at fault.  We lost 1 player at a time last year, not 2 at the same time.  The team had so many holes that opposing defenses were able to stop the little amount of offense we had.  Either the GM should take the rap for putting together a less than adequate team or the coach should take the rap for not being able to produce with the resources she had.  In either case, the person is Pokey and she should have taken the fall.  I don't hear Tom Thibideaux talking about those bad injury issues with the Bulls who have lost far more talent than the Sky did last year and have nearly clinched a playoff berth.... and only 53% of the teams make the playoffs in the NBA, not 75% like the WNBA.

LOL

Fanbetty, take off the rose colored glasses. Your bias against Pokey is looming large here. How many PPG's did The Sky lose with EP? That's a lot of points.

Then EP returns but you lose how many PPG when Syl goes down?.

What happened to:

*Phoenix without Taurasi,

*LA without Parker,

*Seattle without Jackson

You're getting a little impossible to reason with fanbetty. This is not the NBA...lose key players on WNBA teams and your team goes down hard. Take McCrybaby from Atlanta, or Catchings from Indy, or Charles from Conn, or Cappie from NY...they would be in the same boat The Sky was.

You're unreasonble fanbetty...and the bad part about it...is you either don't see it or won't see it.

Edited by T_Woodie - 05Mar2013 at 7:10pm
IP IP Logged
idchafee
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote idchafee Replybullet Posted: 05Mar2013 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by T_Woodie

They lost a LOT more than Taurasi
IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 05Mar2013 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by idchafee

Indeed. But still without Taurasi they hurt.
IP IP Logged
Shades

Quote Shades Replybullet Posted: 06Mar2013 at 10:50am
Originally posted by idchafee

Plus Phoenix was trying to lose games, unlike CHI.
IP IP Logged
Elijah
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Elijah Replybullet Posted: 06Mar2013 at 12:17pm
I here ya fanbetty and I agree, look pokey should just coach & the sky should hire a GM, one position takes away from the other, they need a GM to focus on the day to day operations, and the coach should focus on preparation and finding the right mix to put on the floor because if this continues, the players will soon stop listening, she's okay, but I honestly don't endorse her as the coach to guide this team to a championship.

Edited by Elijah - 06Mar2013 at 12:18pm
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." Churchill.
IP IP Logged
Shades

Quote Shades Replybullet Posted: 06Mar2013 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Elijah

I here ya fanbetty and I agree, look pokey should just coach & the sky should hire a GM, one position takes away from the other, they need a GM to focus on the day to day operations, and the coach should focus on preparation and finding the right mix to put on the floor because if this continues, the players will soon stop listening, she's okay, but I honestly don't endorse her as the coach to guide this team to a championship.

The trend is to have GM and head coach as one position for these modern times of being efficient and saving money. Thibault pointed out all he has to do differently now is to take care of the contract end of things.
IP IP Logged
Elijah
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Elijah Replybullet Posted: 06Mar2013 at 1:42pm
Instead of wasting time on zoll & quigley, the sky after drafting delle Donne, should package their 28th pick and next years 3rd rounder for Minnesota's 2nd rounder and select A'dia mathies out of Kentucky, she could play either guard position, she could backup Courtney or prince, we'll still have Murphy to sub for prince, mathies could spell Courtney, I love her intensity & mindset as a player. and it's too bad we don't have a 2nd rounder, we could've used it on destiny Williams out of Baylor.

Edited by Elijah - 06Mar2013 at 1:47pm
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." Churchill.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 6 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version