Return to www.chicagosky.net.

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chicago Sky 2013 (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Chicago Sky TalkSky Team TalkChicago Sky 2013
Message Icon Topic: Preseason Game Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 7 Next >>
turner_sat

Online Status: Offline
Quote turner_sat Replybullet Posted: 15May2013 at 12:47pm
Yahoo!!  How is EDD doing? Can't see game stats.
Cece
IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 15May2013 at 12:53pm
Wow! EDD with 15 at the half...IS DAT LADY THE REAL DEAL OR WHAT???
The "BIG 5" Sloot, Quigley, DeShields, Parker, and Dolson
IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 15May2013 at 12:57pm
I'm interested in how the guard play is going...Sloot, Zoll, Quigley, and Moss.
IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 15May2013 at 1:35pm
Almost over... from the tweet page it's Sky 81-65 with 2:00 left...looks like things went well.

Interested to see how well Campbell did...I'm hoping she can be The Sky "bruiser" PF...Smile
IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 15May2013 at 1:44pm
Ok...it's over. Nice start for The Sky winning 85-67! EDD leads all scorers with 17.

AWESOME START FOR THE SKY!!!

I'm waiting to see the box scoring..as well as the posts from those who went to the game...Clap
IP IP Logged
brit479

Quote brit479 Replybullet Posted: 15May2013 at 3:06pm
Went to the game! my thoughts:

Delle Donne definitely not a power forward she is definitely a guard. Offensively talented, needs work on her defense and speed.

Zoll is very poised player and not flashy and will be a major help to the Sky in the pg area.

Syl is the glue player, as usual solid defense and offense. Smart player and no fouls. It also seems like she worked on her out of double team passes.

Sloot look like she worked on her speed, she was grinding out there.

Swin was an amazing shape and played solid defense. Her offense was non exist but with Delle Donne were okay now lol.

Young...seemed nervous and played less minutes. She needed to get in a groove. It was more of a free play game then structure.

Murphy showed up and showed out lol. She is the energizer bunny, she'll have another good year.

Petro was bleh...

Swords was a foul magnet

Piph was her usual self...good offense and defense.

Quigley was good once she got in the flow. She could be a good three pt shooter for us.

Campbell can hustle and run, she knows the plays well it seem.

Ruth Riley was in street clothes...

Overall you could tell the Sky just begun practicing with each other. With Sloot and Syl being late arrivals, I think with a few more weeks of practicing they'll be good.
*Sloot*Piph*Cash*EDD*Syl*

*Stay healthy and make some noise. GO SKY!!

IP IP Logged
Sigur3

Quote Sigur3 Replybullet Posted: 15May2013 at 3:44pm
SIGUR3 GAME REPORT...

Hard to make judgements with training camp rosters in gymnasiums that are 100 degrees and full of field trips (my usual bathroom stop at halftime was quite the adventure), so I'll just start with what I noticed the most:

Delle Donne: What.  A.  Talent.  WOW.  Effortless scoring; shot over shorter players, took taller ones off the dribble, and made both look easy.  Guarded both forward positions impressively too; at the beginning of the game they tried attacking her with Carsons, and EDD's length blocked a jumpshot and forced a missed layup.  She also held her own against Bone in the post.  Very, very impressed!  As TWoodie said, the real deal.  No doubt about it!

Edit: I think people who haven't watched her play much (understandable) are really underestimating the kind of defensive pressure she got in college.  Yes, the CAA isn't that good and the players are stronger and faster in the WNBA, but EDD was facing nothing but man coverage today and she was killing it.  She is the definition of a matchup nightmare.

Murphy: Looked like a totally different player out there.  Very aggressive, used shot fakes and opted for the in-between game rather than just sitting on the perimeter waiting to take the 3.

Sloot: Was not that aggressive on offense, her defense is actually what impressed me the most.  Was up in the face of whoever she was guarding and got several deflections leading to turnovers.  I can see how the Hyppa workout helped her improve her game.

Quigley: Seems like a one-dimensional player to me but that one thing she does very well: shoot with confidence from all areas of the floor.  Very quick release and doesn't need much space to get her shot off.  They were running her off screens and she was nailing plenty of open looks.  Keep in mind most of this was in garbage time, but I'm thinking she'll be the 4th guard until EP returns from Russia.  Defense needs some work, was constantly getting blown past even when she went under the screen.

Campbell: Most impressive fringe roster player in this game IMO.  She looks a lot like the physical presence the Sky need coming off the bench at PF.  Pokey put her in and she immediately hit the glass, they didn't keep stats for the game but I want to say she grabbed 4 offensive rebounds and forced a couple of jump balls.  Showed some range on offense but rebounding is going to be her bread and butter on this team.

Swords: Not a great game.  Looked sluggish on defense, fell for a lot of fakes and picked up lots of fouls; basically more of the Swords from June 2012 than the one from September.  Obviously they didn't go to her on offense a lot, she made a really sweet lefty hook but that was about all we saw of her. 

Zoll: Not very aggressive offensively but I thought she played solid defense and ran the team with good pace. 

Young: Looks unsure of her role in the offense IMO.  We need the Tamera who was nailing the midrange shot with confidence from early last season.  Hustle and D were good as always though.

Moss: No idea.  Seriously.  She's probably getting cut.

Petro: Looks the same as last year basically.  Showed a nice one-on-one spin move and some skills in the post and looked a LOT better with EDD on the floor than without.

Swin: Not good.  Didn't shoot well and didn't contribute much other than on the hustler plays.  She didn't play that many minutes though and didn't play overseas this winter so she was rusty, without a doubt.

Fowles: Another player who looked totally lost today.  Still not getting nearly enough looks as she needs to be, but I think her struggles today were more attributed to a disheveled pecking order rather than any sort of injury.  Her activity level was very, very good so hopefully we get MVP candidate Syl rather than post-injury Syl.

Piph: Played very well, jumper looks terrific; back to making the tough shots with very little airspace look easy.  She's going to be a stud sharing the load on offense with Syl and EDD and IMO can be one of, if not the most efficient guard in the league.

Riley: DND

Overall: The game was close for a little over a quarter, but the Sky ended up pulling away and playing with a 15+ point lead for most of the game, mostly because NY had a few rotation players who weren't there yet.  I really think the depth is going to be a lot better this year; Murphy seems ready to take on the 6th woman scorer role and if Campbell and Zoll can play to their niches, the Sky have two positions filled that they didn't really have last year. 

Still a preseason game obviously, lots of silly mistakes like airmailed passes and fast breaks that didn't capitalize on anything, but most of the stuff I saw that was "wrong" was more of players not being acquainted with each other than laziness or lack of effort.  Refs had a rough go of it too Wink

I know a lot of people are skeptical because of last year's collapse, but let me tell you that this team is completely different.  Get excited folks! Clap

Oh, one more thing...if they ever release the stats for this game, don't put any stock into the 3 point shooting numbers at all.  I don't know if the players are having a rough time adjusting to the extended line or what, but I saw at least a dozen long, long twos taken that were threes last season.  Maybe it was playing in such a small gym?  I don't know...

Edited by Sigur3 - 15May2013 at 3:54pm
IP IP Logged
brit479

Quote brit479 Replybullet Posted: 15May2013 at 3:55pm
Good report Sigur3, except your praise for Delle Donne is too high lol. I was there too, and yes Delle Donne shot some good threes in the first half....NY left her open a few occasions too. Notice second half she only made two pts. They made adjustments at half time. Delle Donne will have a lot to work on. She will be a great player once she gets the flow of the wnba. Obviously NY doesn't seem like their going to be very good this year, they were short and had a lot of new faces on their team. Quigley lit them up, that's very telling. I will agree that a lot of the Sky players did look lost on offense. Pokey needs to improve that...
*Sloot*Piph*Cash*EDD*Syl*

*Stay healthy and make some noise. GO SKY!!

IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 15May2013 at 4:05pm
Great report Sigur3! Really like that you went into detail on the players. You're nominated for the forum sports writer...LOL Thumbs%20Up

Excellent analysis! You know your stuff.

Very happy to hear how well EDD guarded the foward spots...Pokey is right on in calling her a "stretch 4" player....she knew exactly how to play EDD on this team.

No doubt we're gonna miss EP for a while, so I'm happy that Murphy's game is on, and I hope she stays that way and isn't as streaky as she was.

It also sounds as if Campbell may make Riley an afterthought for The Sky. I don't know what her contract is...but I'm wondering if she gets cut/traded now.

No doubt there they can play even better...what impressed me in the sta box was only 8 TOs...Thumbs%20Up

One question is on Sloot and Zoll...is Sloot clearly the better PG? I ask because I think if it's close, that's a good thing because it'll keep them both on their game.
IP IP Logged
Sigur3

Quote Sigur3 Replybullet Posted: 15May2013 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by brit479

Good report Sigur3, except your praise for Delle Donne is too high lol. I was there too, and yes Delle Donne shot some good threes in the first half....NY left her open a few occasions too. Notice second half she only made two pts. They made adjustments at half time. Delle Donne will have a lot to work on. She will be a great player once she gets the flow of the wnba. Obviously NY doesn't seem like their going to be very good this year, they were short and had a lot of new faces on their team. Quigley lit them up, that's very telling. I will agree that a lot of the Sky players did look lost on offense. Pokey needs to improve that...

They weren't going to her nearly as often in the 2nd half and she didn't get as much playing time as she did in the 1st because the game was basically over.  No doubt she will have a learning curve, but I thought she handled one of the more physical teams in the W (especially under Laimbeer) quite well for her first game.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 7 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version