Return to www.chicagosky.net.

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chicago Sky 2013 (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Chicago Sky TalkSky Team TalkChicago Sky 2013
Message Icon Topic: Preseason Game Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 7 Next >>
Sigur3

Online Status: Offline
Quote Sigur3 Replybullet Posted: 15May2013 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by T_Woodie

Great report Sigur3! Really like that you went into detail on the players. You're nominated for the forum sports writer...LOL Thumbs%20Up

Excellent analysis! You know your stuff.

Very happy to hear how well EDD guarded the foward spots...Pokey is right on in calling her a "stretch 4" player....she knew exactly how to play EDD on this team.

No doubt we're gonna miss EP for a while, so I'm happy that Murphy's game is on, and I hope she stays that way and isn't as streaky as she was.

It also sounds as if Campbell may make Riley an afterthought for The Sky. I don't know what her contract is...but I'm wondering if she gets cut/traded now.

No doubt there they can play even better...what impressed me in the sta box was only 8 TOs...Thumbs%20Up

One question is on Sloot and Zoll...is Sloot clearly the better PG? I ask because I think if it's close, that's a good thing because it'll keep them both on their game.

Haha, thanks my man!  I could've written more but I'm hot and tired (and EXCITED!) and wanted to watch at least some of the game... LOL

I think it's hard to make a call on Sloot vs Zoll right now because both of them played very identical games: patient, distributing players who didn't really look to score.  Zoll beat someone off the dribble (forgot who it was) for a nice baseline layup and Sloot got an and-1 on Mitchell with an up fake below the free throw line, but honestly those were the only 2 buckets between the two of them that stood out to me. 

I think right now it's Sloot's spot to lose.  No reason to make changes when you don't have to IMO.
IP IP Logged
brit479

Quote brit479 Replybullet Posted: 15May2013 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Sigur3

Originally posted by brit479

Good report Sigur3, except your praise for Delle Donne is too high lol. I was there too, and yes Delle Donne shot some good threes in the first half....NY left her open a few occasions too. Notice second half she only made two pts. They made adjustments at half time. Delle Donne will have a lot to work on. She will be a great player once she gets the flow of the wnba. Obviously NY doesn't seem like their going to be very good this year, they were short and had a lot of new faces on their team. Quigley lit them up, that's very telling. I will agree that a lot of the Sky players did look lost on offense. Pokey needs to improve that...
They weren't going to her nearly as often in the 2nd half and she didn't get as much playing time as she did in the 1st because the game was basically over.  No doubt she will have a learning curve, but I thought she handled one of the more physical teams in the W (especially under Laimbeer) quite well for her first game.

She played almost all of the 3rd qtr with the starters, became non exist once NY chimed in on her. NY was physical? they were without Katie Smith, Plenette Pierson, and Cheryl Ford. They played their rookies Toni Young, Kelsey Bone, Kamiko Williams who are learning the WNBA just like Delle Donne. The Sky looked sloppy but then again they have to develop chemistry with the few new players on the team. Saying Delle Donne was great and played good defense (preseason game) would be false. I'm sure her and Pokey will state in after game interviews that there is a lot to work on. I thought she was amazing offensively, but just like when Sloot was a rookie, I see the same with Delle Donne.
*Sloot*Piph*Cash*EDD*Syl*

*Stay healthy and make some noise. GO SKY!!

IP IP Logged
Sigur3

Quote Sigur3 Replybullet Posted: 15May2013 at 4:28pm
How was her defense bad?  She was slow on a lot of rotations but played good man defense against forwards and guards, which a lot of people were concerned about.  How many times was she scored on?  I didn't count many.

IP IP Logged
brit479

Quote brit479 Replybullet Posted: 15May2013 at 4:35pm

How was her defense bad?  She was slow on a lot of rotations but played good man defense against forwards and guards, which a lot of people were concerned about.  How many times was she scored on?  I didn't count many.

Couple of occasions Essence Carson flew by her and a few other guards. Obviously your a fanboy who can't see what really happen on the court. Not dissing you, Delle Donne is going to be a amazing but putting her on a pedestal this early in a preseason game against a weaker team and a team that Allie got 14 against is.
*Sloot*Piph*Cash*EDD*Syl*

*Stay healthy and make some noise. GO SKY!!

IP IP Logged
Sigur3

Quote Sigur3 Replybullet Posted: 15May2013 at 4:38pm

Couple of occasions Essence Carson flew by her and a few other guards. Obviously your a fanboy who can't see what really happen on the court. Not dissing you, Delle Donne is going to be a amazing but putting her on a pedestal this early in a preseason game against a weaker team and a team that Allie got 14 against is.

LOL OK...

IP IP Logged
hustlefan

Quote hustlefan Replybullet Posted: 15May2013 at 4:45pm
Just some random comments and impressions - I was at the game too on a gorgeous day in Chicago, weather-wise. The place was packed because the gym capacity is about 2,000.

Delle Donne looked really good - relaxed, confident, and pretty much scoring at will in the first half. Also her defense was pretty good-she had a couple of blocked shots. In the second half she didn't play in the fourth quarter.

Piph was her usual aggressive self on defense - had some steals, and made her shots.

Syl was active while she was out there but didn't play all that much. Swords had more minutes than Syl and committed five fouls.

It's going to take teams a while to get used to the defensive three-second rule. It was called at least four times during the game.

Zoll-Norman impressed me a lot - she had seven assists and no turnovers. Only thing is she doesn't shoot the ball much.

I agree Sloot looked much improved on defense.

Quigley was cold in the first half but on fire in the second half - strictly a catch and shoot player.

Shay scored ten points in ten minutes of playing time. Looks like she will start when Piph leaves for Russia.

Don't know what's up with Riley. She was in street clothes.

The other players left no impression - Cash, TYoung, Petrovic, Moss, Campbell.

Box score is here: http://www.wnba.com/games/20130515/NYLCHI/gameinfo.html#nbaGIboxscore

I think the three cuts that have to be made will be Moss, Campbell, and either Petrovic or Quigley.
Chicago Hustle, Women's Basketball League, 1978-81
IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 15May2013 at 7:03pm
Thanks hustlefan...Thumbs%20Up

We've got a mixed review on EDD defensively here...LOL

I'm going to make an educated guess about why Carson "blew by" EDD.

In my experience in bball, when a taller player is against a shorter player (as in 6' 0" Carson vs a 6' 5" Della Donne)...the "blow by" is gong to happen a few times. That's just how it is!

That's why this is a game of matchups. EDD will have her advantages against shorter players and they will have their advantages against her on the dribble drive.

You see it all the time in bball because the smaller player has the shorter quicker stride and anytime they have a taller player on them in the open court...they're going to take them off the dribble.

I think EDD does have things to learn...but it doesn't surprise me that 6' 0" Carson blew by her...it just doesn't.
The "BIG 5" Sloot, Quigley, DeShields, Parker, and Dolson
IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 15May2013 at 10:00pm
Disappointed with WGN...nothing on The Sky...Confused
IP IP Logged
Shades

Quote Shades Replybullet Posted: 16May2013 at 2:56am

Went to the game! my thoughts:

Delle Donne definitely not a power forward she is definitely a guard. Offensively talented, needs work on her defense and speed.

Thank you, Brit.  You'd have to be pretty ignorant to think that Delle Donne is a post player.

Edited by Shades - 16May2013 at 3:23am
IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 16May2013 at 9:07am
Originally posted by Shades

Went to the game! my thoughts:

Delle Donne definitely not a power forward she is definitely a guard. Offensively talented, needs work on her defense and speed.

Thank you, Brit.  You'd have to be pretty ignorant to think that Delle Donne is a post player.

^^^^^LOL  Someone need to get use to the term "stretch 4" (as Pokey calls it).
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 7 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version