Return to www.chicagosky.net.

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chicago Sky 2014 (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Chicago Sky TalkSky Team TalkChicago Sky 2014
Message Icon Topic: NCAAW Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 4
BBussan

Online Status: Offline
Quote BBussan Replybullet Posted: 30Mar2014 at 7:29pm
Idk, I just feel she has the physical gifts. With proper coaching she could be great. Maybe an immediate gear change like glojo was. I think "Tennessee basketball" is an abhorrent adherence to outdated principles of basketball. I feel like I was watching 6 on 6 high school ball in the 90s a lot this season. Stand around the 3 point line force it in to the paint. There was no other option for meighan. Should give her bonus points for surviving the lady vol system with a 3 point shot intact. Carter started the season, so did Reynolds. By the end of the season they are afraid to shoot one and when they do it's only got a fraction of its former chance of going in. How bout some screens. Can't penetrate well with no shooters and no movement.

Yeh, yeh, Tennessee is all about defense and rebounding, but that seems to be a huge struggle too. Maybe u could fatigue them on defense if one were to move around.
To the 2013 Eastern Conference Champion Sky
IP IP Logged
Sigur3

Quote Sigur3 Replybullet Posted: 30Mar2014 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by T_Woodie

I'm not sure what games you all were watching!!! Simmons scored 31 points...she shot 4-8 from three...so she wasn't "jacking up shots"...she missed more layups than anything. The whole team was missing layups.

Simmons was 9 of 22 for a little over 40%...that's not bad! She didn't have a stellar game but she played a decent game.

That's not what I said though.  Lots of players can score in college.  Simmons had a great scoring game.  Her decision making was poor and was continuously avoiding Tennessee's big advantage (post play) in order to take shots herself.  She got hot in the 2nd half but that doesn't make it smart basketball.  Unless, of course, Warlick's gameplan was to let Simmons go 1-on-1 every possession rather than try getting the ball into the post, in which case she is not fit for the job, but I don't think this is the case.
IP IP Logged
wnbarocks

Quote wnbarocks Replybullet Posted: 30Mar2014 at 10:15pm
I like Simmons speed and desire to win. It just seems that she does try too hard to do it all herself. But not sure if it is because she has to because no one else is stepping up, their plan on offense sucks, she doesn't have faith in her teammates, or... So I am torn. I think she has skill, of course. I just think we could also use a player with smarts and mental strength. Does she have that? I don't know.
IP IP Logged
vickilz

Quote vickilz Replybullet Posted: 31Mar2014 at 11:47am
Simmons did what a lot of seniors or team leaders do, she tried to take over and get her team back in the game. 

All season there were two distinctly different Lady Vols teams that would show up at the game. One was a team clicking on all cylinders, looking ready to challenge for the championship.

The other is the team that took the floor yesterday.  Bad passing, giving the ball away, missing too many layups, forcing shots early in possession missing free throws and no movement on offense. The team that forgot how to play defense unless they foul.

Maryland came out strong and never let up. They were the team that played to win and deserve to be moving on.
IP IP Logged
BBussan

Quote BBussan Replybullet Posted: 31Mar2014 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Sigur3

I'm not sure what games you all were watching!!! Simmons scored 31 points...she shot 4-8 from three...so she wasn't "jacking up shots"...she missed more layups than anything. The whole team was missing layups.

Simmons was 9 of 22 for a little over 40%...that's not bad! She didn't have a stellar game but she played a decent game.

That's not what I said though.  Lots of players can score in college.  Simmons had a great scoring game.  Her decision making was poor and was continuously avoiding Tennessee's big advantage (post play) in order to take shots herself.  She got hot in the 2nd half but that doesn't make it smart basketball.  Unless, of course, Warlick's gameplan was to let Simmons go 1-on-1 every possession rather than try getting the ball into the post, in which case she is not fit for the job, but I don't think this is the case.

Sugar3, I usually love your insights, as I feel they are generally on point. However, I think the problem yesterday and this season is the lady vols are too 1-dimensional. They play well when they impose their will by feeding the posts. That doesn't always work though. Packing it in the paint on defense with good hands and what does that leave the vols with? No options, as they have conscripted all the other players to that singular brand of ball, penetration and outside shots become high-risk due to no practice, confidence or perception of approval. Part of me says Simmons with better guidance would have turned out a lot better and that her ceiling may be much higher than what people expect. However, I try to think about watching her on court and cringing like I do when she comes in to play like idid with jasmine jones. I don't want to end up not liking her because she cant help the Sky sufficiently. However, if she goes to play elsewhere and dominates, I'll be totally torqued.

On an unrelated note, I am so down on Tennessee right now. I almost feel like it is time to jump the lady vol ship. Would like to see more dynamic ball from them.
To the 2013 Eastern Conference Champion Sky
IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 31Mar2014 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by Sigur3

I'm still wondering what game you were watching Sigur3. I didn't see that Simmons you saw.

Simmons was the 2 guard, and what I saw was the front line not establishing post position with the exception of Izzy.

The game was lost on poor shooting and the front line getting pushed around.

I watched the whole game...I don't know if you did, but I agree with vickilz. SImmons didn't press until late in the game...and she did so because the had no post presence...and that was because the post players just got out played physically...they allowed Maryland to get them off the block.
The "BIG 5" Sloot, Quigley, DeShields, Parker, and Dolson
IP IP Logged
wnbarocks

Quote wnbarocks Replybullet Posted: 01Apr2014 at 7:51pm
First half was the Shoni Schimmel Show and then she went cold after halftime. Ouch.

But then she hit a bunch of clutch 3's and almost got the win. Gotta say she is entertaining.

Edited by wnbarocks - 02Apr2014 at 6:04am
IP IP Logged
Swish

Quote Swish Replybullet Posted: 01Apr2014 at 11:45pm
I am predicting another BORING CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. With Anchonwa's injury Notre Dame can not compete against UCONN. Heck, Notre Dame might lose to Maryland and I know for fact that it will be a BORING GAME!

Edited by Swish - 01Apr2014 at 11:45pm

IP IP Logged
vickilz

Quote vickilz Replybullet Posted: 02Apr2014 at 10:43am
Sad to see Achonwa's college career end with an injury in the Elite Eight. We might very well see a Maryland - UConn final.  
IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 08Apr2014 at 7:19pm
Ok...we got two undefeateds about to square off...I really don't see a game here. I think UConn is going to win this by at least 16.
The "BIG 5" Sloot, Quigley, DeShields, Parker, and Dolson
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 4
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version