Return to www.chicagosky.net.

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chicago Sky 2014 (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Chicago Sky TalkSky Team TalkChicago Sky 2014
Message Icon Topic: Who should we draft? Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 17 Next >>
Jet Jaguar66
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote Jet Jaguar66 Replybullet Posted: 29Mar2014 at 4:18pm
I'm not that familiar with Burkholder. Don't get to see too much Mid-major stuff. But, as we saw from Sloot and EDD, there is some good talent there! I'm OK with Simmons or Schimmel, IF they aren't our regular backup for PG. Because that wouldn't work IMO. They may be ok for 2 guards off the bench: some 3's and some energy/speed off the bench (speed more with Simmons). If we had Prahalis and Simmons in our 2nd unit, we would be VERY fast!
IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 29Mar2014 at 4:42pm
I would say Pokey definitely will take Simmons *if* she's there...provided she doesn't sign Murphy again (which I think won't happen, because Murphy is entering her 8th year).

Pokey signed Quigley, so I think that *may* be the writing on the wall for Murphy.

Let's not forget Swin is yet to sign also. If Pokey signs Swin again that would probably be a one year deal.

Edited by T_Woodie - 29Mar2014 at 4:46pm
The "BIG 5" Sloot, Quigley, DeShields, Parker, and Dolson
IP IP Logged
UofD_Alum

Quote UofD_Alum Replybullet Posted: 29Mar2014 at 4:52pm
What about Swords?????
IP IP Logged
Jet Jaguar66
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jet Jaguar66 Replybullet Posted: 29Mar2014 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by T_Woodie

I would say Pokey definitely will take Simmons *if* she's there...provided she doesn't sign Murphy again (which I think won't happen, because Murphy is entering her 8th year).

You didn't see this from yesterday? http://www.wnba.com/mercury/news/mercury_signs_shay_murphy_140328.html
IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 29Mar2014 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by Jet Jaguar66

Originally posted by T_Woodie

You didn't see this from yesterday? http://www.wnba.com/mercury/news/mercury_signs_shay_murphy_140328.html

Nope...SO THE TARGET IS SIMMONS!!!!
The "BIG 5" Sloot, Quigley, DeShields, Parker, and Dolson
IP IP Logged
wnbarocks

Quote wnbarocks Replybullet Posted: 30Mar2014 at 6:33pm
Shoni Schimmel looked pretty good today. Some nice assists, good shots, and smarts. I liked her. Others have said that she might not be a good fit, but I'm not so sure. Seems that she can do a lot of things well and wants to improve.
IP IP Logged
Jet Jaguar66
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jet Jaguar66 Replybullet Posted: 30Mar2014 at 7:10pm
Simmons/Schimmel. 6 of one, half dozen of the other. I'm not really super high on either. Schimmel has a penchant of jacking up shots herself, although she's improved some this year. Her handles are a little overrated to me. She's not nearly as fast as Simmons, but a better, or at least more willing, passer. Either one could at least be a gunner off the bench. But, let's face it, at the 10th pick, we aren't getting the next Maya Moore anyway.

Edited by Jet Jaguar66 - 30Mar2014 at 7:11pm
IP IP Logged
wnbarocks

Quote wnbarocks Replybullet Posted: 30Mar2014 at 10:22pm
If we don't pick up a free agent guard like Sammy P, I think that you have to consider Simmons or Schimmel. But if we sign a guard, do you consider Achonwa?
IP IP Logged
UofD_Alum

Quote UofD_Alum Replybullet Posted: 31Mar2014 at 8:40am
Do not overlook Kirby Burkholder. She has outstanding defensive ability (can out rebound 6'5'' players) and she is a 3 pt shooter. She will help coming off the bench. Just because she is a mid-major player do not underestimate her. Somebody will draft her and she will help that team coming off the bench this year and I believe she will start her next season.

I am not familiar with Simmons or Schimmel but if Pokey selects them I will give her credit that she knows the players to draft better than me.
IP IP Logged
Swish

Quote Swish Replybullet Posted: 31Mar2014 at 9:30am
I am going to write a draft ranking of the best players the Sky should draft rounds one thru three.

FIRST ROUND
Schimmel
Simmons
Anchonwa

SECOND ROUND
Nared
Kulas
Liston
Foggie
Marshall

THIRD ROUND
Bias
Hamson
Gatling
Plouffle, K.

A few weeks ago I would have never picked Schimmel to be the Sky's first choice in the first round. Schimmel and Simmons to me were players with amazing potential but with a low level of maturity. What I mean by maturity is that very often during a game they would make terrible basketball decisions. Poor basketball decision making is a sign of low maturity as a basketball player.
What I have been witnessing from Schimmel lately is that her maturity is beginning to grow. Her shot selection is better and her passing is better. She can still do some crazy passes sometimes. But she has improved in that area. Her midrange game is better now. I like the way she does not settle for the three point shot but dribbles to the open spot on the floor closer to the basket and takes the shot.

Simmons is still a buck wild player. If Pokey believes that she can coach this woman to make better decisions on the court then she would also be a good pick up in the first round. Simmons is the most athletic guard in this year's draft. The Sky could use a quick guard to apply ball pressure to the opposing team's quick guards. With the Sky having so many great shot blockers on the squad they can also use a speedy player that can run down the court quickly to retrieve blocked shot balls for easy layups.

Anchonwa is on my list because I like her effective play in the post. She passes the ball well and makes good decisions on offense and defense. Anchonwa was at the top of my list for most of this college season. But with the Sky picking up Breland the need to draft her first has dropped her value just below the other two guards mentioned above. If the Sky would draft her ahead of Schimmel and Simmons I would still be satisfied with their selection.

Just a side note Natasha Howard was the player that I most coveted for the Sky this college season. Her play has been so stellar that I know for a fact she would not drop down to the tenth pick in the draft and that is why I took her off my draft list.

Edited by Swish - 06Apr2014 at 10:48pm

IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 17 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version