Return to www.chicagosky.net.

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chicago Sky 2014 (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Chicago Sky TalkSky Team TalkChicago Sky 2014
Message Icon Topic: Let's talk About The WNBA Finals Mattchups... Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 3 Next >>
T_Woodie

Online Status: Offline
Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Topic: Let's talk About The WNBA Finals Mattchups...
    Posted: 05Sep2014 at 11:34am
As The Sky prepares to meet Phoenix, I'm interested to know what Sky fans think about the matchups in this series.

*WE KNOW Taurasi and Griner are are two to be most concerned about on Phoenix.

*THEY KNOW Big Syl and EDD are two to be most concerned about for The Sky.

So now...what are your thought after those players???

Let talk about it....and see what other players could be key...

Edited by T_Woodie - 05Sep2014 at 11:35am
The "BIG 5" Sloot, Quigley, DeShields, Parker, and Dolson
IP IP Logged
Sigur3

Quote Sigur3 Replybullet Posted: 05Sep2014 at 12:15pm
Phoenix is just really freaking good.  They're tall, long and can space the floor incredibly well on offense with plenty of 3-point shooting to surround Griner.  Brondello has done a terrific job and it shows in their ball movement. 

Penny Taylor is still an elite player in my mind.  The ACL injury robbed her of her explosiveness, but she's such an intelligent and versatile player (we will be seeing her play 3 different positions in this series) that her game has aged like fine wine.  Bonner is another one, great perimeter defender who can shoot the 3 and get to the free throw line.  Meanwhile Dupree is having a career year shooting the basketball...it's just going to be super tough.  There are no easy covers in their starting lineup.
IP IP Logged
Sec113Maven

Quote Sec113Maven Replybullet Posted: 05Sep2014 at 1:51pm
I agree with Sigur....they are an explosive team. The only way we are going to get around them is if we are tough on both ends of the court and shoot well. We need to get those offensive rebounds!!!!!!!

I most want to see what Sylvia and EDD do to Griner. Taurasi is a beast and I hope she does not pound on Sloot. Piph has to get hot. Dupree, Bonner, Taylor are all excellent shooters.

I think we have to shake things up, keep them confused and rattle them as much as possible. The mental aspect of the game is crucial here, because they have too  many physical weapons.

Can't wait to see these first two games.

Edited by Sec113Maven - 05Sep2014 at 1:51pm
Sec113Maven
IP IP Logged
Sec113Maven

Quote Sec113Maven Replybullet Posted: 05Sep2014 at 1:53pm
Forgot to add, we really have nothing to lose. We have exceeded all expectations and we are the underdog. So I think the Sky should play relaxed and just show their love for the game by giving it their all.

This Skyrider is happy!

The Maven Heart

Edited by Sec113Maven - 05Sep2014 at 1:54pm
Sec113Maven
IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 05Sep2014 at 2:06pm
They're definitely a force to be reckoned with Sigur3.

When I look at the two games they played though...I throw out the first game without Sloot and EDD. When they played in Chicago that was a better measure because I think Faulkner was much better at running the offense.

Defense is definitely where The Sky has to be on their game! They must get back on defense and match intensity!

Players on my mind for The Sky is EP, who had a rough series against Indy and naturally EDD with the back issue.

Bench wise I think the Sky is in better shape with Faulkner, Quigley and Breland able to fill nicely also.

Most are fearing Phoenix because of how they beat Minny, but Minny has no size...THE SKY DOES!!!

I just have to see how our ladies handle the Championship pressure having the first two games at Phoenix.
IP IP Logged
UofD_Alum

Quote UofD_Alum Replybullet Posted: 05Sep2014 at 2:20pm
I think Pokey is going to go with a tall lineup;

Sylvia   -   center
Elena   -    forward
Breland - forward
Young    - guard
Sloot      - guard

Pokey will bring Quigley and Pip and Faulkner off the bench.

I believe this is what Pokey will go with because she needs to go tall to match up with the tall players in Phoenix. Also, this is your best defensive unit. It does hurt your offense. But this also depends on the health of Breland and EDD.
IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 05Sep2014 at 2:25pm
ESPNW's take on the series:

http://espn.go.com/wnba/story/_/id/11464119/phoenix-mercury-versus-chicago-sky-wnba-finals-happen

Seems to me that Voepel doesn't want to call it for Phoenix...and she has good reason not to!

In my book this *may* go the full five games...the only question is can The Sky play smart, because we must be frank and say *sometimes*, our ladies aren't mentally up to par...*IF* they are...stand by!
IP IP Logged
P51D

Quote P51D Replybullet Posted: 05Sep2014 at 5:59pm
Phoenix can be beat. During the season they --Lost twice to Minn--Once each to Indiana (by 15 points),San Ant.,Conn,Tulsa and Atlanta. Defense in the lanes will be a must as well as switching on tight screens to stop the 3s.
I WOULD AGREE WITH YOU BUT THEN WE'D BOTH BE WRONG
IP IP Logged
Swish

Quote Swish Replybullet Posted: 05Sep2014 at 9:42pm
In order for the Sky to win this series they will have to pull some Fever tricks out of their shorts to defeat Phoenix. The Sky must make shots. All of the Phoenix starting five are good shooters. The Sky can not afford to have any dead zone time periods where they can not execute their offense and make shots.

The Sky have played against the Fever for years now and they know the type of in your face tenacious defense that team likes to play. The Sky need to use that same defensive technique against Phoenix. Phoenix has a tall team. But they are not a quick team. The Sky has the quickness advantage over Phoenix. The Sky must use their quickness as much as possible to keep Phoenix off balance.

The most important thing the Sky and Sky fans must do in this series is HAVE FUN! Everyone thought the Sky was going to finish dead last in the Eastern Conference and we made it to the WNBA Finals! Win or lose, have fun!

IP IP Logged
Swish

Quote Swish Replybullet Posted: 05Sep2014 at 9:47pm
Food for thought. The first time Candice Dupree makes it to the WNBA Finals she has to play the team that she left, the Chicago Sky in their first WNBA Finals. Things that make you go hmmmmn!

IP IP Logged
Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version