Return to www.chicagosky.net.

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chicago Sky 2014 (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Chicago Sky TalkSky Team TalkChicago Sky 2014
Message Icon Topic: Sky @ Mercury 9/7 Game 1 WNBA Finals Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 4
wnbarocks

Online Status: Offline
Quote wnbarocks Replybullet Posted: 08Sep2014 at 7:12pm
Thanks for the update Maven. I understand your frustration with EDD and I agree that she will not be able to help us tomorrow. But I do believe that she has been playing with a lot of pain. She worked very hard getting back from her Lyme flare-up and then she got hit in the back going up for a rebound. Not sure if her Lyme makes it more difficult to recover or not.
But as far as a marketing stand point, she has done more good than any other player ever has. General public in Chicago knows Elena. She has put the Sky on the map. The media covers her.
Plus, when she is good-like last year or at times this year--she is really good.
And yes IDChafee, it is good that she does not have to go overseas. But realistically even if she needed the money, she can't risk not having access to treatment. She gets treatment all the time. Maybe not as intensive, but it is a daily battle for her. I respect that.
Hopefully, next year will be a healthy one for her and the rest of the team.
IP IP Logged
idchafee
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote idchafee Replybullet Posted: 08Sep2014 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by wnbarocks

And yes IDChafee, it is good that she does not have to go overseas. But realistically even if she needed the money, she can't risk not having access to treatment. She gets treatment all the time. Maybe not as intensive, but it is a daily battle for her. I respect that.

If she had to have treatment and rest that bad, and needed the money she'd go the Cheryl Ford/Deanna Nolan route and skip the WNBA season.   
IP IP Logged
wnbarocks

Quote wnbarocks Replybullet Posted: 08Sep2014 at 10:19pm
Maybe you are right about that.
IP IP Logged
T_Woodie

Quote T_Woodie Replybullet Posted: 08Sep2014 at 10:19pm
It's just one of those things with EDD. She's a great player, and this is unfortunate.

Keep in mind how it happened with Big Syl when she came into the league...if I remember correctly it took Syl 3 years to make a full season.

Maybe we see that with EDD next year.
The "BIG 5" Sloot, Quigley, DeShields, Parker, and Dolson
IP IP Logged
Sec113Maven

Quote Sec113Maven Replybullet Posted: 09Sep2014 at 6:20am
I am not knocking EDD, she is an amazing talent. I am just saying that the Sky cannot afford to plan a strategy around her when her health issues seem to be chronic. This was a question we all had before she was drafted - whether or not she was durable enough to play in the WNBA. If she can get healthy and play a full season that is great for everyone and more power to her. If she cannot then the Sky need to have a back up strategy where she shares start time with someone else so she has a back up when she is not healthy. Maybe an older seasoned player at the end of her career who can fill in for EDD but not have to play all of the time.

We just need to have a strategy moving forward. I am sure Pokey knows this and has a good plan. I am curious to see how this is handled next year.

I don't remember Syl taking three years to settle in. I remember her as being a plus factor for us from the start. But then again, my memory is not as good as it used to be!

The Maven Heart
Sec113Maven
IP IP Logged
wnbarocks

Quote wnbarocks Replybullet Posted: 09Sep2014 at 6:43am
You are right Maven about having a solid backup for her. Definitely needed.
Did she have any health issues last year? I don't recall.
IP IP Logged
P51D

Quote P51D Replybullet Posted: 09Sep2014 at 8:43am
Thanks to Maven for voicing thoughts about EDD and the Sky having to work around her availability. Many of us may have had the same opinion but hesitated going public with the thought.
It's well proven that a true "elite" athlete has the added Mental Toughness that allows them to work through outside pressures, pain and self doubts and other negative influence. Looking at the Sky make your own assessment of each player's Mental Toughness. I suggest that Young, Sloot, Quigley, Syl, Faulkner seem to have the trait which also adds to their being good defensive players in spite of any physical/skill deficiencies. When adding this trait to a player with EDD's skills you then have the "Elite player." It becomes a challenge to have a game plan not knowing if EDD can play 30 min. or 10 min. I know she has outside pressures, the question is, can she cope with them and be a full-time player? The time may come that Pokey will have to make a tough decision. I hope she will have the Mental Toughness to make it.
I WOULD AGREE WITH YOU BUT THEN WE'D BOTH BE WRONG
IP IP Logged
Sec113Maven

Quote Sec113Maven Replybullet Posted: 09Sep2014 at 9:41am
I agree with P51D about "Mental Toughness". Pokey is an experienced coach with Euroleague championships under her belt. She knows the score. I think she will have decisions to make and they won't be easy.

This team cannot win a championship with this type of uncertainty game to game. I think if an older experienced player is brought in Pokey should consider Tamika Catchings. She is getting too old to play a full game but could share time with EDD if needed. And this was the last year of her contract with Indy. I know she has had back issues but is worth considering as a back up for a year or two.

Just saying.
Sec113Maven
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 4
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version